Menu

Help me correct this grip

This doesn't look like such an awful grip -- she's using the "right" fingers (the thumb and first two fingers) and tucking the other two away.  The pencil is lying in its proper place in the crook between the thumb and first finger.

What problem are you trying to correct?  It does look like a bit of a "death grip" -- squeezing too hard and maybe getting tired quickly?  Or, is there a lack of pencil control issue?

Yeah, I agree with PP - her grip is called a quadropod grip - as compared to a tripod grip - and it's an acceptable grip, at least to most OT's (ours included).  See photos here.

If she's having trouble with the grip - pain, lack of control or stamina - you could try a grip.  Out OT really likes these, although they're more for correcting other issues.  I think you could still do a quad grip with it, since there is still room for those 2 fingers.

If it's not bothering her, and she doesn't have any issues arising from it, I'd suggest letting it go.  It's different, but not wrong (unless it's causing an issue.)

Oops, forgot to mention that I posted my original pencil grip post because in it, Iron Ethel Flint mentioned that she retaught a nine year old with an improper grip- perhaps you can PM her. See post #16. It sounds like it was a difficult experience. I didn't mean to derail your original question!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/522439-pencil-grip/

I have not. I'm hoping to correct it at home by January. If no marked improvement we will then.

You can buy therapy putty and google for strength-building exercises. OT was very helpful for us and the grip portion was very short. One visit might give you home exercises and the equipment. DD was able to try out alllllll of the grips to see which worked best, and they provided the putty. It would've cost much more than my co-pay to recreate that. Good luck!

You can buy therapy putty and google for strength-building exercises. OT was very helpful for us and the grip portion was very short. One visit might give you home exercises and the equipment. DD was able to try out alllllll of the grips to see which worked best, and they provided the putty. It would've cost much more than my co-pay to recreate that. Good luck!

thanks for the tip!!

Try some of the old fashioned kitchen tools to help strengthen hand muscles. My kids think flour sifter and cheese graters, nut grinders, etc. are fun to use. It's a way to get the kids involved in food preparation so you can homeschool and make dinner at the same time! If cooking isn't your thing, needle work projects also build hand strength and eye - hand cordination.