Menu

Finding research opps

DS9 really wants to find some research opportunities involving marine mammals (primarily sea turtles). While he is accelerated in math and sciences, his writing/grammar skills leave much to be desired. He struggles to write a simple paragraph. This is something we are working on but in light of that would you recommend that I perform any written communication for him? If not what would you suggest?

Do you live in an area where you can access citizen science projects? When sea turtles are hatching, there is a need for people to help make sure the hatchlings get to the ocean, and when they are nesting, there's a need for spotters to watch and mark nests. A 9 yr old probably can't sign up on his own, but normally if a parent does, a child can accompany, and eventually it becomes obvious that the child is the one who is really interested. Marine mammals may be more difficult that marine reptiles, because they tend to be so far offshore, but I would imagine the same would apply-find local opportunities and connect there, then move up. My DD has been participating in amphibian research for the last year, and so far, writing really hasn't been an issue, because she's contributing to the research of others, not an author. She is starting on her own research, but in herpetology, research takes multiple seasons over several years, so she has time to build up her writing skills. I suspect this is the case in marine research as well.

Sea turtle conservancy has wonderful materials on Florida sea turtles available for free if you're a Florida resident, or at a minimum shipping cost if you're not. World Turtle day is in June, and last year there were really great education kits available free from Zoo Med for free as well (not just sea turtle focused, but interesting).

Sea turtle research will probably fall under ASIH-American Society of Icthyologists and Herpetologists. Next year's joint meeting will be in Reno, Nevada. If your son can find a member to recommend him, he may be able to get a pre-baccalaureate scholarship to attend the meeting, which is a great experience. (See my conference thread if you want information on the conference, although my DD is an SSAR pre-bac, so she didn't attend the ASIH tracks). I imagine there are conferences focusing on warm blooded creatures or marine biology that may have similar pathways.

We are actually in South Texas and we are going down to Mustang Island SP next week for the ranger talk on sea turtles. There are some conservation efforts happening within an hour of our home. There is also research happening I just don't know how much is here and how much is more towards Galveston.