Menu

curriculum for art co-op

so I'm going to be teaching the k-3rd art class at our (small) homeschool coop.  I'm totally up to do it... but I honestly don't know much about art.  We used artistic pursuits at home last year, I liked it ok, but I'm not thinking it's a good fit for the coop

I really want something to follow rather than trying to pull a bunch of projects together as I'm not super confident in art. It also needs to be more in the dry medium realm since we will not have a sink in the room... I'm thinking pencils, pens and maybe watercolors.  I'd love to cover basic art elements using various projects.  I have about an hour every week. Oh my my DD (3rd grade) will be in the class and has some talent for art... so I'd love to provide something for her to be challenged with, along with keeping the couple Kindy kids engaged.

Anyone have any curriculum recommendations???  :confused1:

I used it in a one-room, multigrade classroom. Each child had one at his own grade level. It doesn't take much instruction, and once the dc are working on it, it's easy for you to watch and help if necessary.

It is recommended that the teacher complete each project herself, both as a model for the children to see and so that she'll have first-hand knowledge of how it is done. which will make it easier for her to teach.

Guest JennyJ

Our co-op used "Discovering Great Artists," by Kohl & Solga for the last two years. Each page (or 2) has an introduction to an artist and a project to do in the style of that artist. There's a materials list and a picture so you have an idea. We usually supplemented the lesson on the artist by finding library books, big color images, and more bio information. 

has anybody used See the Light Art Class... or Creating a Masterpiece?  I'm worried the DVD aspect will loose some of the youngers

I love the look of stuff on Deep Space Sparkle... but am at a loss on how to organize it... I need 30 lessons!

I'm not sure that I would appreciate that as a parent, KWIM? I could stay home and let my dc watch a DVD. :-)

I've never taught a homeschool art co-op, but how would doing 30 projects from "The Artful Parent" work? Is the co-op on art history or actually creating art? If it's on the former, the "Picture This" series would be great for a wide range of ages, if it is the latter, then the "Artful Parent" might be lovely.