Menu

Those who keep personal journals...

This is for college kids and adults doing journal writing... not on the computer.

Do you write on both sides of each 2-page layout or do you only write on the right hand side?

And what type of heading to you write before each entry?

Thanks.

This is for college kids and adults doing journal writing... not on the computer.

Do you write on both sides of each 2-page layout or do you only write on the right hand side?

And what type of heading to you write before each entry?

Thanks.

I guess no one does this?!

I used to keep a written journal and always used every bit of available space. I only put the date at the top.

I don't keep a real "journal" anymore. I read here about someone who has a friend who keeps a book with receipts and ticket stubs paperclipped to the pages, and I started doing that this year. I have a lovely calendar planner from Barnes & Noble for this. I write in some comments, but not many. It serves as a record of our days, which was my intent.

I just purchased a blank notebook today, to use as I read the great books, using The Well-Educated Mind as a guide. (I was inspired by Lisa in NY who just finished Don Quixote.) I will use both pages there, too. Though today I was thinking that I might leave the left side for funny or interesting quotes. I read the first two chapters last night and it's hysterical.

Does that help?

That way I can write on both sides of the spread page.

I usually have a theme for a journal--I don't keep them all the time. For instance, a few years ago I took DD to a daycamp that was quite a drive from our house. I planned self-reflection, trips to yarn shops and beaches, and a visit with an old friend for the week. I bought a journal specifically for that week.

So I had a few pages for each day--I started them with the date and wrote down what I did and anything I thought was significant.

But I also made lists as they came to mind, and they were in different sections of the journal. (This was pretty informal. I would just open it toward the back and start new pages.) So, for instance, I started thinking about what I would like to make out of clay, and made a list of about 15 projects. I started a list of favorite inspiring sayings, hymn lines, and Bible verses (that got quite long). I listed all the homeschooling stuff that I wanted to check on or study. I had a list of the major and minor subject areas that I wanted to cover homeschooling our upcoming year. I had a list of knitting projects. I had a list of what I wanted to get everyone for Christmas (it was August at the time.) I had other things as well--but I didn't really plan these. They were just the logical results of my thoughts and reflections over that week.

Sometimes I start a journal about something specific, like marriage or motherhood or God. Usually those have various headings, but are not ever filled or finished.

Nicole and Carol,

Yes, your posts help. That's what I'm wanting-- ideas on ways to do it and even thoughts on the pros and cons of the different types of books available for journaling. I need for ours to be in a book format, not on computer. And they need to be smallish-- 5x7, roughly.

To use with my college kids, I just bought 2 books and both of them are 5x7 spiral-bounds, with hard front/back covers. I really don't know if the other types of bindings are better or not. To use with my dh, I have a sewn book. And then my smallest book is a small leather one and only I write in it.

Also, where do you find the largest selection of books? I love having choices when I purchase a book for journaling. Most of mine were purchased at Barnes & Noble. Is there a better place for choices?

Also, where do you find the largest selection of books? I love having choices when I purchase a book for journaling. Most of mine were purchased at Barnes & Noble. Is there a better place for choices?

I have gotten my favorites at independent bookstores, our local Waldorf school Christmas fair, and museum stores--tech or art or natural history.

Those little plain black ones are nice, but hard to get to open flat; and the pages are sewn in which is sometimes nice and sometimes a real problem.

Right now my favorites are those ones that have the wrap around covers and are made to look like very old leather bound books. They close with a small magnetic strip and they are just beautiful. They are popping up all over the place.

Right now my favorites are those ones that have the wrap around covers and are made to look like very old leather bound books. They close with a small magnetic strip and they are just beautiful.

The one I purchased for me to use and carry around with me, looks like an old, tan, leather book only there's no magnetic strip. I know what you mean... saw some at B&N with the strip. Mine has a thin flat leather strap that winds a couple times around the book and you can tuck the end underneath to keep it wound.

Maybe next time I buy one I'll try one with the strip. Thanks.