Menu

Generic glue that's as good as Elmer's (or close to it)?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to find Elmer's glue for .25 cents a bottle this year. What's a good generic brand that comes close to Elmer's?

I'm asking because the stuff we used during Girl Scouts last year was horrible...super runny. I would like to buy something better for the troop as a donation, but don't want to spend .50 cents a bottle either. (I actually already bought four bottles of Elmer's, but would like to have some decent-quality generic on reserve.)

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to find Elmer's glue for .25 cents a bottle this year. What's a good generic brand that comes close to Elmer's?

I'm asking because the stuff we used during Girl Scouts last year was horrible...super runny. I would like to buy something better for the troop as a donation, but don't want to spend .50 cents a bottle either. (I actually already bought four bottles of Elmer's, but would like to have some decent-quality generic on reserve.)

I just saw an ad in my local circular from Office Depot has has Elmer's glue listed at .25.

Well, yeah. Not at home, but in this case, yes. I'm a co-leader this year and will be in charge of Brownies in a multi-level troop. We are rural and live in a low-income area. The troop pays for basic uniforms and earned badges. After that and paying for a few low-expense activities, troop money from nut and cookie sales is gone. I donate a lot, but wouldn't be able to without being creative and frugal. The girls can go through several bottles of glue in one SWAP-making session.

So expense is a factor? Because honestly I don't waste time with kids on any glue but the quality Scotch glue sticks and Ailene's Tacky Glue for any craft application. The white school glues just rumple paper and take ages to dry.

That Office Depot coupon looks promising. I get my Ailene's with Joann's discounts - just patiently waiting for the 40% or 50% off coupons and then jump on it :)

So expense is a factor? Because honestly I don't waste time with kids on any glue but the quality Scotch glue sticks and Ailene's Tacky Glue for any craft application. The white school glues just rumple paper and take ages to dry.

That Office Depot coupon looks promising. I get my Ailene's with Joann's discounts - just patiently waiting for the 40% or 50% off coupons and then jump on it :)

Yup! I never felt Elmer's was that good a glue. Scotch glue all the way. Lasts for ages and works!