Menu

Making cloth pads

I bought some printed PUL fabric today. Could someone offer a suggestion on what order to put each layer for mama cloth pads? I like minky fabric for the top layer, then I know the center gets terry cloth, does that mean the PUL goes on the bottom layer? What about the layer in between the minky and the terry cloth? Am I making any sense here?

The hardest part is the snaps. The cheap machines don't work and the people who sell them on Etsy usually make diapers too, which is why they can afford the machines that do work.

If they're for you, your daughters, and your friends, just use a safety pin to attach the wings around the crotch of your underwear. It works fine, even though it's too mickey mouse to be saleable.

I would worry that PUL would impede drying, so if I was going to use it I would be making it in two parts - an outer with minky at the top and PUL at the bottom and a terry cloth inner.

That's the pattern I use anyway, but I have a flannel outer and a bamboo hemp inner. Think of a pad with wings that you slip a regular pad.

I found the snaps super easy - I just bought snaps that came with their own little plastic thingamajig that you hit with a hammer. Do the hammering outside on a plank or something, as you want to be able to wack it hard!

I had some old postpartum pads with a PUL bottom layer. The top was hemp terry (I think?) with flannel topped PUL on the bottom. The top had the wings that went around and snapped. The bottom was just a wide hourglass shape, stitched to the top at the north and south ends. It came with an extra stuffing insert made of two more layers of hemp terry, serged in an hourglass shape slightly smaller than the bottom layer. You stuffed it inside and it stayed because of the wings and probably friction with the flannel and rough underside of the terry on top layer. Clear as mud? :)

At any rate, yes, PUL on bottom. You wouldn't want to block absorption! It's a barrier.

I don't prefer PUL on pads though. It's a very good moisture barrier. Too good. Like a sauna. Or something. ;)

Yup, Pul on bottom-if you have fabric under the PUL and you do a T&T, it can wick into that.  KAM snaps will definitely work.  Well, IDK through *too* much terry, but they have different ones that are heavy duty.  You can always do wings that are just PUL and top fabric without terry and just terry on the pad part if it's an issue.