Menu

Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School

What do you all think of this? How parent intensive is it? Is it one years worth? Done daily? How does this work in your home?

DD9.5 is half way through grade 4. Early this year, she outgrew WWE, so I purchased Writing Strands 3 for her. It seems good and she really enjoys it. Just wondering if I need to add Killgallon. So basically I need to know how it works.

Thanks

I found it useful and efficient. The parent intensive level will depend entirely on the student. It will not fill a year.

That said, I'd use the elementary level for a 4th grader. If you're looking for more writing some other ideas are Wordsmith Apprentice or Writing & Rhetoric.

I used this with a 9th,8th and 5th-ish grader.  One kid absolutely loved this, one was OK with it, and one child despised it (she struggles with grammar, though, and did not have a good grammar base.)  All 3 used it independently.  We did it 3X a week, and the older two finished it within the school year.  They also found titles they wanted to read from reading the excerpts within the text, and we got those from the library as requested.  I don't recall a list of the titles, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Its been awhile since we used it, and my memory is sketchy!  The oldest, who enjoyed it, got the most out of it.  His writing improved.  The other two didn't seem to get much out of it.

I have nothing to add to this thread except that my brain keeps skimming the title and reading it "Klingon" sentence composition and the nerd in me laughs. A lot.

That is all :)

I would totally buy a Klingon sentence composition workbook.

Killgallon is a bit less than a semester if done 1 section per day. A section is anywhere from 1/2 page to 1 1/2 pages.

I agree about starting with the elementary book for a 4th grader. I would not start it unless the student was familiar with verbal phrases and clauses. Things like infinitives, gerunds, participles, dependent and independent clauses.