Menu

Explode the Code

amyc78

Starting kindergarten with my DD5 in a couple of weeks. She knows all her letter sounds and can read CVC words and the beginning BOB books. I just finished Teach Your Child to Read Using Children's Books and like the gentle, organic way of teaching reading presented in this book, however I would like to modify it to add a little more phonics. DS enjoyed Explode the Code books at this age and this would also be a good way to work on both writing and spelling as well, if I remember correctly. My question is, should I just order the student workbooks or is there any value in the teacher's guides? I've seen the online program also but don't know a lot about it...

I just have the student workbook and we did fine. ds has a slight delay in fine motor co-ordination (everybody in my family does) so I skipped the writing pages and just had him point instead. I was kind of "meh" about it, but he absolutely loved it so I got him the next workbook for first grade.

I didn't use it with my older kids because money, so I'm not sure how well it will do for spelling yet, but I'm all ears and bumping this hoping that a more experienced parent will chime in.

I've never used the teacher guide. I'm sure it offers instruction, but the reason I use ETC is because it's open-and-go and very child-directed. The kids do it without my help. I would think that if your child can already read CVC words you probably wouldn't need the guide at all.

The end-of-book reviews use the teacher guide, but it's very easy to make up sentences or words for those 4 pages.

We used ETC 1 last year and it sounds like your dd is in about the same place my ds was. ETC 2 involves reading whole sentences, so I don't think she's ready for that yet.