Menu

Those of you who use Lively Latin

Walking-Iris

How do you organize it?

I've printed out the Intro and the first three lessons. 

As I'm looking it over, I see instructions to organize a notebook (brown bordered pages for this, blue bordered pages for that, and so on) 

My question is---why?

If I need to organize it like this, why are the pages in the order they are to begin with? I'm going through and realizing that rearranging the pages makes the flow of the Big Book disjointed and complicates planning it for daily lessons.

I'm trying to think about what and how much to do each morning (or 3 days a week---haven't decided yet).

Do you just keep it together and work straight through, working on a page or two (more or less) at a time? Or do you rearrange it according to the notebook dividers and work on each section during one lesson? (which seems like too much). Or arrange the work behind the notebooks after you complete the work? (which is slightly annoying in that I printed the pages double sided so one side is brown bordered, the other blue)

I may be over thinking this, but I really don't see any clear instruction in the materials provided in how to implement it. It's completely written to the student, and even the answer sheets are copies of the regular sheets with no extra info for teachers. 

I'd like to use it and make it work for us. (Please don't make me start over with researching Latin options...<shudder>)

Some advice or examples of how others plan/organize/implement the program may help. TIA.

I used my Proclick to bind the whole thing exactly the way it printed out. It seems to be fine, I have ds do 20-30 min 4 times per week. He wanted to continue Latin and he enjoys it but he does it independently. I just check it.

That seems the easiest solution. I don't plan on this being independent work however. 

I just use it the way it is presented and we do the next thing.

But, the author was told that some people don't like the history and want to skip it or want to do the grammar lessons only etc so she made it possible to do just that. I think it is an attempt to let people know they can customize LL in any way they want.

I personally never wanted to do that much work.

I do the same as SemiSweet. I print out 4 lessons at a time and Proclick them. My son usually does a couple activities a day (like Lesson 8.1 and Exercise 8.1). I worked with him last year, but he's doing it independently this year. He likes to do Latin with the cat. :D On new vocabulary days, he gets on the laptop and listens to that and plays some online vocabulary games. He also makes the flash cards as directed.

Yeah I think we did the binder at first, but I tend to have a hard time keeping up with things that are too complicated, some stuff like flash cards may need to be printed again so they aren't cut with something on the other side, but overall, it works to have it all together. He really likes the program too and we did some of GSWL so he hasn't an issue doing it independently, though we aren't super far into it, about half through level 3, if he needs more instruction, we will start doing it together.

I printed everything out, hole punched and put it all in a binder, by page number. We are kind of ignoring the "organize by colored border" thing. Mainly since I printed in b/w, lol! Ds does LL independently, and seems to be really enjoying it so far.

When my girls went through the beta version of LL years ago, I followed the instructions for the dividers and the colored borders, but we only filed completed work in the binder. As they went through the pages, they'd put them in the sections where they belonged.

Last week, I decided to see if I could still access LL. It took me a while to figure out my old login information, but I still had access to the 1st edition of BB1. I emailed the author to ask about the differences between my old edition and the current one, and she thanked me for my support all those years ago, and kindly sent me the enrollment key for the newer version! So I'll be using that with my boys this year!

I'll probably just do what I did with the girls: print out each lesson, and keep it in the front section of the binder, then file completed pages into their respective dividers.

I have a notebook with the dividers, I find it helpful to do it that way later when we are looking back for specific grammar topics or vocabulary sheets, it's less to sift through. I also skip the history with my younger son who isn't as interested in the history pages so keeping them separate works for us. I don't think it's essential to keep them in a notebook with dividers though. You could just put them all together and then put little post-it tabs on the pages you might want to go back to (vocabulary lists, new grammar concepts, etc) so that they are easier to find in the notebook. It won't matter so much at first but we've been using it for 4 years now and have several notebooks filled and the dividers have helped with organization. 

For my oldest, I bought the printouts already so have them in a box. For my second son, I print out one lesson at a time from the website. Typically they do one page a day 3-4 times a week, plus vocabulary practice daily. We go through the pages in order, regardless of topic, except that I skip most of the history pages with my second son.  Then I file them under the correct section in the notebook.