Menu

Literature and Composition

Oldest ds (rising 7th grader) has to do literature and composition starting this year.  What options do I have for both?  

Would Writing With Skill count as one of those?  What about Rod and Staff English?  

I could see either of those working for the composition requirement, but what about literature?  For reading until now he's just been reading anything he can get hold of, keeping tabs on what he reads, when he starts and finishes, etc.  Would that continue to work now that he's moving from "reading" to "literature"?

Thanks!  

Oldest ds (rising 7th grader) has to do literature and composition starting this year.  What options do I have for both?  

Would Writing With Skill count as one of those?  What about Rod and Staff English?  

I could see either of those working for the composition requirement, but what about literature?  For reading until now he's just been reading anything he can get hold of, keeping tabs on what he reads, when he starts and finishes, etc.  Would that continue to work now that he's moving from "reading" to "literature"?

Thanks!  

Rod and Staff's English would be grammar and composition. You'd add literature.

WWS would be compostion.

The only thing I'd do for literature is to be sure that he reads a variety of genres (novels, poetry, short stories, plays, etc.), and discuss with him things like what protagonists and antagonists are, and what a "plot" is, and things like foreshadowing. You could add a couple of study guides, too, maybe something from Progeny Press.

The Love to Learn Place has the most amazing book report forms. Do the sixth grade forms; it doesn't matter that they say "sixth" instead of "seventh." :-)

Rod and Staff's English would be grammar and composition. You'd add literature.

WWS would be compostion.

The only thing I'd do for literature is to be sure that he reads a variety of genres (novels, poetry, short stories, plays, etc.), and discuss with him things like what protagonists and antagonists are, and what a "plot" is, and things like foreshadowing. You could add a couple of study guides, too, maybe something from Progeny Press.

The Love to Learn Place has the most amazing book report forms. Do the sixth grade forms; it doesn't matter that they say "sixth" instead of "seventh." :-)

Thank you!

WWS would be compostion.

The only thing I'd do for literature is to be sure that he reads a variety of genres (novels, poetry, short stories, plays, etc.), and discuss with him things like what protagonists and antagonists are, and what a "plot" is, and things like foreshadowing.

WWS has excellent composition lessons, including how to do what Ellie describes here (if you're like I was and didn't know how to do what she describes).  You could do WWS as the composition portion, and then when you learn through that how to "do literature" (discuss and write), you could apply those WWS skills to some of your student's reading.  (but not every book - you don't want to kill a love of reading!!)