Menu

How would you handle this?

LMV

If I were Parent A I'd be GLAD the store employee was yelling at my kid because my kid obviously wasn't listening to or learning anything from me.  It would be good for him to hear from an outside source in order to try to convey to him proper social skills.

If I were Parent Z I'd have attended to my child and would fully expect the police to get involved due to the injuries.  All health bills should fall on the store and/or Parent A.  I'd now be explaining to my child that this is why it's important to learn proper social skills when growing up - and if social skills can't be learned - then one ought to be limited or well-supervised in social situations.

I hope your daughter continues to improve - and sorry you had to deal with this.

It sounds like Parent A has issues of their own.

I have the potential to be Parent A. DS11 has a physical disability with a lot of chronic pain & cannot walk long distances. The exception that wouldn't make me Parent A is that I do not believe that a grocery store/big box store trip count as a long distance and DS would never be allowed on a motorized cart. We have a manual wheelchair that is only allowed out of storage for trips to the zoo, amusement parks, and when he has surgery. He has been using a wheelchair for 7 years & knows how to use it responsibly. We do occasionally have shopping trips during a pain flareup where he does need to use a store chair but we will grab a manual chair with a basket if it is available and I am pushing him so I can use the basket for my groceries.

That said, if I was Parent A, I would welcome the store manager yelling at my child & a police investigation. My child would need to understand the full ramifications of their actions. A much younger child was injured because of them and they need to get a grip on their behavior before they are behind the wheel of a car which can caise much more damage.

If I was Parent Z, I would be livid. You handled it far better than I would have. You are a good person for trying to extend grace & compassion to Parent A.

I am so glad your DD's injuries will heal and hope she is running around like normal today!