Menu

Ready for Algebra?

I want to make sure my kiddo is ready to start Algebra in the fall. We'll do Jacob's Algebra. What's a good book to run through just to make sure we've covered everything? (We've hopped around a lot) I got Lial's Basic College Math, but now I see that they also have a pre_Algebra. Should I have gotten that instead? We also have AOPS Pre-Algebra, but it seems a bit daunting to try and run through that in the next month and a half. Suggestions? 

Jacobs begins pretty gently, with a thorough review of PreAlgebra in the early chapters, so you might be just fine starting with that.  If as you are doing that you notice specific holes, you could address them, using MM subject books (dark blue series), or Khan Academy, or something else.  Alternatively, you could have your kid run through Kahn's PreAlgebra list, doing problems and watching videos as needed.

You definitely couldn't run through AoPS PreA in a month and a half, but you could perhaps sign up for an Alcumus account and have your kid do the PreAlgebra list, and use the (free) videos and the text as supplements as needed.  I'm making Shannon master Alcumus PreA list before I let her start Algebra.