Menu

Too many books, not enough time!!!

nature girl

I have a problem and obviously need intervention. My DD is such an enthusiastic learner that it's driven me over the edge this year. I look at book samples and imagine how much she'll love them, and because of that I buy everything, EVERYTHING, that looks fun. If there were 200 hours in a day I'd be set, but because I'm stuck with 14 hours, and don't want to school more than 1.5, maybe 2h a day for my young rising K'er I know I'm going to have to put some of my fun, wonderful books away. Which makes me want to cry. Not even counting the books I've bought and decided won't work for us, these are the books I love and have to decide between:

Science: I have Sassafras, and want to go through BFSU again, I also bought The Private Eye which is amazing...It covers science/art/creativity, I'm reading through it now, and I'm dying to use it as well, we do kitchen table experiments I find online, and I have numerous science kits and books with experiments that I've bought on impulse, some of which have barely been touched.

LA: I'm going to do HWT-K, and bought LOE-Foundations B, but now I think I should have bought C instead, or not bought anything at all, because we're doing well and having fun just with shared reading. LOE does some spelling, but I don't know if spelling makes sense for K anyway. RLTL has been calling to me for awhile now, and I'm having to sit on my hands to keep from ordering it.

Math: We're going to move on to RSB, but we're also fooling around with Miquon Orange when she's in the mood, and MEP when I'm in the mood for somethign different. We also have LoF Apples through Dogs... :crying:

Extras: For music we're doing piano, and I bought SQUILT which looks amazing (but how the heck to fit it in?) I've also bought MP K Enrichment along with art cards, and we do a fair amount of cultural studies and other NF reading. Are any of these necessary? In my mind...maybe? Kind of? Because I want to show her that school is about so much more than the 3R's, and give her a full appreciation of the world around her.

We also do 1-2h of read alouds (not included in the 1.5h I want to spend on schooling) and we spend a couple of hours outside playing, do field trips, errands, cook together, and of course just play. I know, I know, I'm ridiculous, she's so young and we have so much time to get through it all, everything here could be stretched out over 2-3 years and we'd still be okay, but darn it, I want to do it all now!!!

My thoughts: Should I ditch the extra math besides RSB, maybe limit math to 2-3dpw? Forget about LOE and, since she's already ahead, just have her practice through real books which is more fun/fulfilling anyway? Do science only 1dpw (if at all) and not worry that we won't get through much? (She loves science though, especially the experiments I've found online, and has been having so much fun with Sassafras.)

My other thought...What if I just semi-unschool, let her choose (within reason) each day what she wants to do, and forget schedules and planning? Do kids need to start learning structure of some sort by the age of 6?

I have a problem and obviously need intervention. My DD is such an enthusiastic learner that it's driven me over the edge this year. I look at book samples and imagine how much she'll love them, and because of that I buy everything, EVERYTHING, that looks fun. If there were 200 hours in a day I'd be set, but because I'm stuck with 14 hours, and don't want to school more than 1.5, maybe 2h a day for my young rising K'er I know I'm going to have to put some of my fun, wonderful books away. Which makes me want to cry. Not even counting the books I've bought and decided won't work for us, these are the books I love and have to decide between:

Science: I have Sassafras, and want to go through BFSU again, I also bought The Private Eye which is amazing...It covers science/art/creativity, I'm reading through it now, and I'm dying to use it as well, we do kitchen table experiments I find online, and I have numerous science kits and books with experiments that I've bought on impulse, some of which have barely been touched.

I'm not familiar with Sassafras, but The Private Eye is something you can continue to use for life really. Just start small and get into the habit and then add a few of the projects in the book a little at a time. Some of the projects are better suited to older 3rd-8th grade students, so I would just take Private Eye slowly. I want BFSU but I'm trying to restrain myself from buying anything. I would suggest for a K'er to just dip into your random science books and continue to explore. Read and absorb BFSU on your own until you feel ready to implement it. All homeschoolers have a ton of science activity and project books. Sometimes my kids look at them for fun, or pick something to do (on their own). They don't necessarily have to be something you implement and plan. 

LA: I'm going to do HWT-K, and bought LOE-Foundations B, but now I think I should have bought C instead, or not bought anything at all, because we're doing well and having fun just with shared reading. LOE does some spelling, but I don't know if spelling makes sense for K anyway. RLTL has been calling to me for awhile now, and I'm having to sit on my hands to keep from ordering it.

For K language arts I just focus on reading/phonics and handwriting. The rest of the time is devoted to for fun writing activities, read alouds, word play games, fun memory work etc. Just work on those motor skills and reading skills and have fun with the rest.

Math: We're going to move on to RSB, but we're also fooling around with Miquon Orange when she's in the mood, and MEP when I'm in the mood for somethign different. We also have LoF Apples through Dogs... :crying:

That sounds like plenty for K math. Take Miquon a bit slower. Tons of people jump into Orange with K'ers but I feel it's best to let a child mature a bit before using Miquon. The Red book gets complex and you can inadvertently frustrate a young child. Maybe just play with the c-rods, work on RS and MEP. I wasn't a fan of LOF, but maybe just save that for another year as well. Math for K? Play, play, play.

Extras: For music we're doing piano, and I bought SQUILT which looks amazing (but how the heck to fit it in?) I've also bought MP K Enrichment along with art cards, and we do a fair amount of cultural studies and other NF reading. Are any of these necessary? In my mind...maybe? Kind of? Because I want to show her that school is about so much more than the 3R's, and give her a full appreciation of the world around her.

Not familiar with the materials you listed, but yes!!!! School is more than the 3 r's. I try to expose my kids to music and art and science and history from a young age. Just play with it, don't push it expecting mastery, but just play around. Especially with the art. I LOVE art cards!!!!

We also do 1-2h of read alouds (not included in the 1.5h I want to spend on schooling) and we spend a couple of hours outside playing, do field trips, errands, cook together, and of course just play. I know, I know, I'm ridiculous, she's so young and we have so much time to get through it all, everything here could be stretched out over 2-3 years and we'd still be okay, but darn it, I want to do it all now!!!

It's normal to have the feeling of wanting to jump in and do it all when starting out. You'll be fine!!!!

My thoughts: Should I ditch the extra math besides RSB, maybe limit math to 2-3dpw? Forget about LOE and, since she's already ahead, just have her practice through real books which is more fun/fulfilling anyway? Do science only 1dpw (if at all) and not worry that we won't get through much? (She loves science though, especially the experiments I've found online, and has been having so much fun with Sassafras.)

My other thought...What if I just semi-unschool, let her choose (within reason) each day what she wants to do, and forget schedules and planning? Do kids need to start learning structure of some sort by the age of 6?

Personally I wouldn't worry about how many days a week you do anything. Unless it helps you. I like to get my K'ers in the habit of expecting lang arts and math to happen every morning, because it's what I'll expect when they are older. Maybe just work on some handwriting/writing type activity, read (her practice and a read aloud) and some math in your morning and leave your afternoons free to play around with the rest of it. In the mood to do arts and crafts one afternoon? Go ahead. Another afternoon dig out those science books. 

Welcome to homeschooling!!! I had the same problem of buying too much until this year. I've finally (hopefully it will stick) come to a place of acceptance with what I have. I doubt I'll be on any sort of buying binges for homeschool for some time (except regular books).

Sounds good, what you have, but I tell ya, she likely gets more out of your read alouds, playing outside, field trips, cooking, etc then out of any extra curriculum items you have!

Stick to a math. Not that a supplement isn't worth it, but just some basic math with her is good. Get 1 handwriting book. We use cheap Pentime workbooks,more really any cheap workbook is fine. This age does not need spelling, in fact, spelling isn't recommended until after phonics. They learn to spell words along the way. Explode the Code is a wonderful gentle way to teach phonics and helps with reading (and writing).

Science doesn't have to be much, it can be as simple as reading about animals (unschooling is good here!)

Nothing wrong with excitement over curriculum, I'm with ya! You'll figure out along the way what is worth it, and what might not be. I will say, if I had only one child, I'd probably do a lot more, but with #4 on the way, I've discovered what extras I would be better without! It's hard yo let some go though!

I know the feeling - though right now with me it is the read alouds that are too many - how on earth do I decide what to read to my children - I have written very long lists of books I want to read to my children and am reading about 10-15 picture books to my 3 year old per day plus about 4-5 chapters of various other books to my elder child who is only 6 and I barely move those lists - luckily the children do keep begging for more and they do still manage to get out and play for a few hours a day (even in midwinter here).

I do LOF and Singapore daily with my child - if anything else needs/wants to be in there then I have to drop one of the regular ones - and that is fine there is time, but I certainly can't do many entire curriculums. I found using BFSU as my main enabled me to pull in any other curriculum or book I wanted because I could take my time on a lesson if I wanted to or do it quickly - based on my child's interest. If she wasn't interested then we left the extras, if she was interested then we used them. 

Your child is still very young and homeschooling is still new for you guys - you will get into a pattern and find out what works and you will learn to pack some of it away - or you can read it and do the worksheets or activities all by yourself while your child plays in the garden. Give it time - if you can afford it it is great to have multiple curricula as then if something doesn't work you can switch to something else - but it can't all get done. Also as children age things change - suddenly half way through the year you may find there is space for something you thought you couldn't fit in at the beginning of the year - or you may find you need to throw even more out because now your child has started gymnastics or swimming and its taking a lot more time than you thought.

You'll be fine :)

With being new to HSing, I would try the different things you have concurrently for a bit, as someone else kind of mentioned.  Looking at it new and shiny and actually using it with your child can be different. 

Some of your things are fine to do together also, just not everything every day.  We actually use Sassafras and BFSU together, Sassafras on a 2-day/week schedule and BFSU 1-2 days a week.  Sassafras (you have zoology?), is all one subject and can get dull to do it all year.  BFSU introduces new topics but can be done one specific topic at a time to inject some interest in other topics back in. 

Math, we personally use a regular core program and then do LOF again to add interest similar to how we use BFSU in science.  It is not a linear type of thing, and the first books are really really simple.  You can spend 5 minutes doing a lesson a couple times a week to add some interest into your math program. 

Unschooling?  Not really the thing for me, though we have done it for brief periods in specific subjects.  Early years are such a time for exploration.  If you are having plenty of time of time for play and unstructured fun, and your child is enjoying exploring all your different curriculum choices, why not try them?  You can see for yourself how your child learns best and how that fits with how you want to teach, and slowly weed out things that don't work for your family.

Deep Breath!

You almost can't go wrong with an enthusiastic learner. Except, you can burn her out!

It looks like you have a lot of freedom to be relaxed bc she is your only one (meaning you can keep track of what's been covered more easily). I love your idea of letting her choose what she does each day. Set a limit of 1 1/2-2 hours and have fun!

The only thing I have a hard time helping you with is the reading. I think it's great for you to just read together for enjoyment. I think of LOE as being for kids who struggle with reading and clearly she isn't. Just make sure she gets through phonics (by "gets through" I mean she knows them by the end of second grade).

If she needs handwriting, do it everyday,too, to build muscle strength.

In K I don't think she needs math everyday, but if she wants it, don't stop!

Otherwise, have fun, follow rabbit trails, do music every day for a month and then focus on bugs and then early American history and then rabbits, etc, etc. Develop a learning home and a learner.

I would be very careful of burn out for her and you. I have a child like this :) She wants to do everything! Just last night she was telling me she wants to do more school work!! She wouldn't have any play time if she did more :)

I think 2hrs of read alouds a day is fine, if its spread out over the day and not all at one sitting.

1.5hrs of school work though seems like a lot for 4yr old. You could choose the best of Maths, and handwriting or just do one each day. One type of maths today, maths from the other book tomorrow.

She has so much time ahead of her to do all this school work.

Adding in piano and other "fun" stuff is great and doesn't need to be called school if she is not required to do worksheets or anything, but just simply enjoy it :) Such as nature, listening to classical music while playing, even artwork like learning to draw. Even science could be fun at this age if you only it do when she wants to, not at a set time each day or week.

In saying this, we use Singapore Math with Miquon, but at age 4 or even 5, they don't do any more than 10minutes maths a day. As soon as their interest wanes, we stop. We also have LOF but have only read two chapters lol

Definitely go with unschooling at this age if you like. I always told my 4 yr olds that if they wanted to do school, they could, if they didn't feel like it today that is fine :) But once they turn 5, they don't get to choose. And at 5, school only takes about 1 - 1.5 hrs.

There are so many wonderful curriculum choices out there! I love looking at all the options and seeing how it work for us. But I have realised that we can't use all the great ones, only the best for each child. Have fun looking and choosing :) But don't feel like you have to do it all, yet!!!!