Menu

Progeny Press Users

Homeschooling6

My 5th grader just started with Stone Fox this week. We did most everything orally, but this coming week I would like for him to write everything out. Do you have your dc write the answers?

My ds reads at about his grade level. Maybe a high 4th grade, low 5th. Should I still sit with him and have him read to me? I think I might have him read every other chapter to me, just to make sure he is reading all the words correctly.

My 8yr. old dd who reads at a 6th grade level is also using Stone Fox. Is it okay to let her read the chapters on her own?

I guess basically I'm wondering if they are a good reader is it okay to just have them read the book and answer the questions?

Thanks

My 7th grader had to do the vocabulary and comprehension questions on her own in writing. The Thinking About the Story and Digging Deeper section -- we did as out loud discussion together.

-crystal

Thanks Crystal, this helps. I am trying to figure out with what can I have Josh & Annette do independently without hurting them (education wise:001_smile:)

Do you have your dc write the answers?

Sometimes. It depends on how much time we have, i.e. less time=oral work, more time=written. If I have other things to do, I will have them do it in writing. But as the other responder said, I usually do the "Thinking" and "Digging" sections orally. These make great discussions for us.

My ds reads at about his grade level. Maybe a high 4th grade, low 5th. Should I still sit with him and have him read to me? I think I might have him read every other chapter to me, just to make sure he is reading all the words correctly.

I would only do this if the book/guide were above his reading level. If it is at his reading level, I would not have him read to me. Unless, of course, reading has been an issue, and you don't think he'll do well with the questions if you don't have him read to you.

I guess basically I'm wondering if they are a good reader is it okay to just have them read the book and answer the questions?

Thanks

I would say yes. You could give it a shot for the first section, and adjust what you do to suit the needs of your dc.

HTH