Menu

Art - HAS or Kistler

3girls4me

Hi!

I am trying to find a way to incorporate art lessons into our routine this year for my 1st and 4th graders. They have taken lessons at a studio before so are fairly familiar with things. I am NOT an artsy mom AT ALL. So I want something they can be fairly independent with and that doesn't take much prep and shopping for me ahead of time. I am thinking of going with Home Art Studio or Mark Kistler's DVD's. Can anyone compare the two and suggest either?

Thanks!

Hi!

I am trying to find a way to incorporate art lessons into our routine this year for my 1st and 4th graders. They have taken lessons at a studio before so are fairly familiar with things. I am NOT an artsy mom AT ALL. So I want something they can be fairly independent with and that doesn't take much prep and shopping for me ahead of time. I am thinking of going with Home Art Studio or Mark Kistler's DVD's. Can anyone compare the two and suggest either?

Thanks!

I think it will depend on what kind of art you want your kids to be doing (or maybe what you can handle ;) ).  HAS uses quite a variety of art supplies...there will be painting, cutting, gluing, etc.  It's more crafty.  With Mark Kistler you use a pencil.  It's more drawing & sketching.  They are both nice.  I'd say do them both...but if you want to choose then it would depend on what you want them to do.  Personally, I love HAS.

ETA: but on the other hand...JB has made some really nice drawings using Mark's Mini Marshmallow lessons. 

If you need to be more budget conscious, the Mark Kistler drawing is the way to go. I purchased all the levels of HAS and then about died when I realized how much each level would cost to do with our five dc from beginning to end. They are fun projects, but the supplies add up quickly, especially for more than one child.