Menu

X-Ray or can it wait untill I get back home?

Karen in CO

I'm visiting my brother 1300 miles from home.  Two days ago, dd9 fell while skating and hurt her wrist.  It is a little bruised, a little swollen and hurts to turn it.  If I were home, I would have taken her to our family doctor the next morning.  Now I'm here packing up to drive home in the morning worrying about it.  I think I should probably take her to the ER for an X-Ray, but I don't really want to spend my last day of vacation that way.  But I would hate to wait until Monday if it is broken.     I really think it is time we all had home X-Ray machines.

Would you take her or would you wait?

If you were closer to home and you could go later today at home, then I would say wait.  That will be a very long and uncomfortable ride home if her wrist is broken.  Odds are they will just split it and send you to the ortho when you get home, but at least it will be properly immobilized. So I vote go in today.

Does your insurance have a nurse hotline?  Mine does.  I fell down some stairs once on vacation and really hurt my foot, but wanted to avoid an ER visit if it wasn't broken.  So I called the nurse hotline and they asked a bunch of questions and were able to advise me.  It turned out not to be broken, although it hurt for a long time.  But the three day car trip home helped me stay off it :)