Menu

Has anyone just read/discussed through some great books for history?

brinkseven

Okay mabe my title was a little confusing...I have 5 children and the oldest being 8 the youngest almost 6 mos. Dh is either TDY or deployed and I am struggling to accomplish everything that needs to be done in one day. I feel like the most important thing with my children at this point should be the basics. We have read a lot of great books I have on my shelves for history. I have generally coordinated them with either the area we are currently stationed or relating to a particular holiday or interest. Okay so now I want something more orderly. Has anyone read the series from Yesterday's Classics through? It is actually called The Story of the World series by M.B. Synge ? I am asking because I have a couple I picked up at a homeschool store. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

I understand what you mean about getting the basics down. My son and I have been reading 'our Island Story' (because we are British) and then using The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for concrete dates, pictures and for another view on the times (such as contemporaneous writers, philosophers, etc).

After this we intend to go onto a book called 'The Story of France'. Because we have been here long enough I have also bought some literature to go along with the period.

I would consider using 'A Child's History of the World' by Gombrich as a spine and then having The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. This would be a great way to cover the basics and be very portable and doable. If you have lots of travelling time perhaps you could consider audio books of history literature too.

My daughter is using one of Galore Parks books: SYRWTL History 1. She is really enjoying it and it is very easy to just pick up and do. It is self-contained. I am hoping to complement it with Lightning Literature's Medieval British Literature because it is such a neat fit with her course (the same primary texts are discussed).

Perhaps when we are more settled we will be able to get a 'larger' curriculum plan under way.

This is interesting to me...on my blog today I just posted about simply reading/discuss for our history, rather then knocking my self out doing units, lapbooks, projects galore etc...that's just not us. My boys LOVE to be read to, even the young 4 year old will listen to me read for 2 hours a day (broken up)...my 6 yr old gives great narrations, no projects needed here. ;)

And it's also interesting because we are going to use MB Synge's books as well for our History spines. :D

Here is the 4 yr cycle break down if it helps:

Ancients:

On The Shores of the Great Sea (entire book)

The Discovery of New Worlds (ch 1-11)

Medievel/Early Ren

The Discovery of New Worlds (ch 12-50)

The Awakening of Europe (ch 1-30)

Late Ren/Early Mod

The Awakening of Europe (ch 31-53 (end))

The Struggle for Sea Power (entire book)

The Growth of the British Empire (ch 1-12)

Modern to Present

The Growth of the British Empire (ch 13-42 (end))

I have all of the Ambleside Online Books (wonderful books) from years 1-6 rearranged into 4 WTM cycles on my blog you can look if you'd like.

Thanks for stepping in there Jenny. My internet connection is a bit temperamental and I don't have the book with me.

I recommended this book because my friend, who has her children in public school, travels between houses a lot because both parents are barristers (English court lawyers). They often take breaks from school and so home educate off and on.

She has four children of similar ages to your own and they are very bright. She read Gombrich's 'A Little History of the World' to her children and they all loved it.

I also had Gombrich's 'The Story of Art' at university and it was invaluable for me. I had majored in sciences all through high school only to decide on Fine Art as a degree. I had almost no history up unitl that point.