Menu

University scholarship for international students?

I have been a long time lurker and have benefitted greatly from the posts here. Now my oldest is getting ready to apply for university, I need help and guidance from the hive.

Background: We are Canadians. I have loosely follow WTM in the past 8 years or so. As a result, we used mostly US curriculum and DS has taken PSAT, SAT I and IIs, and a number of AP exams. He has done extremely well in all of them and now we want to see what our options are in regard to university applications.

Does anyone know if any US university offer merit scholarship for international students? Does anyone have experience in this area? Is there a good website that I can find such information? Any help in this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much and I look forward to learning from all of you here!

If your child has outstanding abilities, in athletics, music, etc., then yes, I believe there is a possibility of scholarship aid or even a "full ride" scholarship in a U.S. university.   Years ago, the mother of the best friend of my DD was the "Counselor" in the U.S. accredited school in Cali. I remember a story about a young student who was offered Golf scholarships, in 2 or 3 schools in the USA. The amount of $ was substantial. About USD $150K as I recall.  GL to your DC.  Also, years ago, on a beach in Venezuela, I met a woman who had attended the Univ. of Maryland (?) on a Volleyball scholarship.

Follow on to my first reply:  There are Scholarship web sites (one of which is run, I believe, by the College Board).  Your son should spend a few hours, completing the information on 2 or 3 of those web sites, to see what their computerized systems might come up with for Canadians. I suspect there are some Canadians who have emigrated to the USA who have set up scholarship funds for Canadian students. And, depending upon his Major, etc., there may be scholarships available to foreign students.

Thanks Lenny for your advice. Sadly DS is not gifted athletically, musically maybe but he is not interested in pursuing that in college. I read on this board many American students receiving large scholarships based on PSAT and SAT scores, I was hoping they might have something similar for international students. I will have to do more research later, hopefully something might turn up. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Thanks Lanny for your advice. Sadly DS is not gifted athletically, musically maybe but he is not interested in pursuing that in college. I read on this board many American students receive large scholarships based on PSAT and SAT scores, I was hoping they might have something similar for international students. I will have to do more research later, hopefully something might turn up. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Thanks Lanny for your advice. Sadly DS is not gifted athletically, musically maybe but he is not interested in pursuing that in college. I read on this board many American students receive large scholarships based on PSAT and SAT scores, I was hoping they might have something similar for international students. I will have to do more research later, hopefully something might turn up. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

You are welcome. After I responded to your thread, I saw this link, in another thread on WTM.  This is also of extreme interest to me, since we live overseas. In the case of my DD, she is a U.S. Citizen and she is Hispanic, but it does seem like there may be scholarships open to your DS, a Canadian citizen. 

Someone on the  WellTrainedMind.com forum posted a link to this web page during June 2014. Sadly, the person who created the web page did not post a date that it had been revised on. Interesting information! 

http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/

I would like to stress to you again that he spend his leisure time on 2 or 3 of the scholarship web sites, including the one run by the College Board. If he checks all the applicable boxes, their computerized systems will let him know which scholarships he can apply for. I suspect there will be quite a few.

Also, check out CollegeConfidential

You are welcome. After I responded to your thread, I saw this link, in another thread on WTM. This is also of extreme interest to me, since we live overseas. In the case of my DD, she is a U.S. Citizen and she is Hispanic, but it does seem like there may be scholarships open to your DS, a Canadian citizen.

Someone on the WellTrainedMind.com forum posted a link to this web page during June 2014. Sadly, the person who created the web page did not post a date that it had been revised on. Interesting information!

http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/

I would like to stress to you again that he spend his leisure time on 2 or 3 of the scholarship web sites, including the one run by the College Board. If he checks all the applicable boxes, their computerized systems will let him know which scholarships he can apply for. I suspect there will be quite a few.

Also, check out CollegeConfidential

I tried to use quote, but I guess I did it wrong.

Lanny, I will definitely get DS to look at the collegeboard and college confidential websites. I checked the other website you linked, it is for Americans only. Thanks again!

Sharon, thanks for the information on Manitoba, it's good to know. Unfortunately, we are in Ontario, and I have not heard about anything like this here. Thanks!

Hi Colleen,

We are definitely thinking of Canadian schools, but we are not ruling out US schools either.

Since DS did really well on American standardized tests, I thought he might have a good chance of getting a scholarship in the US. Canadian schools do look at SATs and APs, but I feel they are not regarded as highly here.

I was an international student back in the day, and did receive merit aid but for that I had to attend a school for which my scores were off the charts (quite literally ;) and not because my scores were that great, it was just a really crappy school ;)) and further my aid was private college aid, off a particular endowment. In my experience, an international student has to be really excellent score wise in order to receive any sort of aid.

Eta: yes, sports too. My sister (also an international student) received some aid that way.