Menu

ITBS error

We just got the test scores for Ds#2/3rd grade. It states within the test that five questions were "not attempted" but I know with certainty that every question was answered! BJU Press wants a $25 retrieval fee to investigate. That's half what we paid for the test to begin with. It irks me a lot, but we also can't afford the Johns Hopkins or Northwestern classes anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter? He's qualified for NW and very nearly for JH. I've really never been one to worry about test scores AT ALL, so I should probably just let it go, but it just irks me. Has anyone else experienced this? What would you do if you were me?

If I were you, I'd let it go. It is 3rd grade. If you think BJU messed up, don't use them next time.

I've never experienced it -- partially because neither of my kids is NW or JH material and most of the time, there is at least one section they don't get completely done with.

Who administered the test? Did they make copies of the score sheet? We use the CAT (I administer it), and the instructions say to make a copy of the score sheet (or the test book if the answers are to be marked in the book, as they are in the younger grades). I would think this is mainly in case the materials are lost in the mail, but I'd also use it as evidence that the problems in question were completed. Then the burden of proof is on them to prove that the last 5 were not completed--not on me--I have proof here that they were. So it should be done on their dime. But if you don't have a copy, or whoever administered the test did not make/keep copies, then perhaps the burden of proof is on you--so you'd owe the $25 to have them look it up--in other words, their scoring machine said the last 5 were not completed, so the ball is in your court ($25 please!) to prove they were.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but $25 can make quite the difference for some families.

Alpidarkomama, I'm glad your experience was a good one. :)

I wasn't saying it's a trivial amount. What I was saying is that--to their mind--they did their part of running it through the scoring machine, and the machine said the problems were not done. If a copy of the score sheet was kept by the administrator of the test, then that can be sent in to prove the error is on the part of the machine, not the student. If no record was kept, then it's a he said/she said situation, where the company is saying "the machine says the problems weren't done--the machine doesn't make mistakes, but if you want us to look it up, it'll cost this much." Because to their way of thinking, they are correct and this is more work for them. I'm glad they did it for free.

ETA: the "$25, please!" was not me saying, good grief, it's only $25. It's them saying, "Give us $25 and we'll gladly look into it for you." I should not have put the comma in.

I wasn't saying it's a trivial amount. What I was saying is that--to their mind--they did their part of running it through the scoring machine, and the machine said the problems were not done. If a copy of the score sheet was kept by the administrator of the test, then that can be sent in to prove the error is on the part of the machine, not the student. If no record was kept, then it's a he said/she said situation, where the company is saying "the machine says the problems weren't done--the machine doesn't make mistakes, but if you want us to look it up, it'll cost this much." Because to their way of thinking, they are correct and this is more work for them. I'm glad they did it for free.

ETA: the "$25, please!" was not me saying, good grief, it's only $25. It's them saying, "Give us $25 and we'll gladly look into it for you." I should not have put the comma in.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify.  :)