Menu

Dd suddenly wants to do American History- need suggestions

I have a 10th grader who decided that she realy does want to do American History which she was going to do with a homeschool academy that is not going to happen. I have to quickly come up with something else. She has difficulty with memory with dry textbooks. Things she says have worked for her in the past are The history of US, Lyrica Life Science, and videos. Any suggestions?

Paul Johnson's American history and as I'm typing I just forgot the exact name - History of the American People or something like that. It is huge, and since it is not a textbook you would have to come up with your own tests, questions, etc. but it is very readable. I also like Notgrass, which I found more interesting than a lot of textbooks, but still had quizzes, tests, etc. It is sort of a unit study - since it includes some Bible, and English - though I think you need to add more for those subjects.

Also, watch things like the Ken Burn's video series on the Civil War, etc.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure there are other options.

Veronica

I swear I'm not getting paid by Scholars Online. I looked at the American History they're offering this year and it looks pretty interesting. They use two different texts, and as the classes are interactive (everybody meets in a chat room accessible only through SO once a week) perhaps this would help with the boredom issue.

The classes are relatively small so no one gets lost in the discussion. Last year in the World History class my dd took there were only 5 students, which I loved.

HTH.