Menu

Need some help.... testing out of a subject at college...

sweetsouthern

I just recently heard about this  :)  dd is starting dual enrollment in the fall  for 10th grade for English and a few people have suddenly suggested that she not take any math classes for dual so she can try to test out for credit in math.  can someone explain to me what this means?? lol!!! dd was only thinking of a getting a 2 year degree in something particular, so my assumption was to get her core classes out of the way with dual, but now im so confused!!! help!  thanks so much :)

Ask the college.  

At the community college where I work, they require certain classes for the various degrees which may or may not be covered by CLEP or AP tests or placement tests. Almost all students have to take some math there even if they place into college-level math because of the way the state configures things.  Also if a student has a possibility of wanting a transfer degree, they specifically recommend that you take at least some math there and not test out of all of it because most 4-year schools want credits versus tests.  The nursing program also wants a class, not math from a test-out, even if it is at the same level.

My philosophy all along has been that they'll do math with me at home (I'm a STEM professor, and am fine with that), and will then take whatever level they need when they're actually in college.  Part of the driver for me though is that they don't allow dual enrollment kids to take anything below college algebra.

They may require that you register in person anyway (mine does), so that might be a good question to have ready.

Ask the college.  

This.

All colleges have their own rules about testing out and/or receiving credit for prior work.  Rules sometimes vary between departments and between majors. ( ie.  you may be able to get credit for AP Calculus as a sociology major but not as a math major, at the same college.)  

On this board, I have seen:

Schools that don't give any credit, but will allow you to take the next higher class instead of repeating.

Schools that have their own tests.  

Schools that accept AP tests but not CLEP.  

Schools that accept AP, CLEP and transfer.  

Schools that want to see a portfolio of your work to transfer credit from another college.

Schools that accept transfer credits but not if they counted for high school.

It's totally up to the receiving  college (ie where she wants to graduate).