Menu

Selective Service registration

Night Elf

My son will be 18 in a couple of weeks. We just got a letter that says it's his official acknowledgment of selective service registration. The top portion seems to be only for making corrections. Well, ds hasn't yet registered. How would he automatically be registered? Do I really assume he's registered or should we fill out the online form? This form has a selective service number and the last action date is June 13th.

Some states do this automatically if you get a driver's license.

http://www.sss.gov/Fsdrivers.htm

It was news to me, but the driving instructor I called for information mentioned it in the course of the conversation.  He actually gives the driving exam and sends the results to the state if you are successful, and then the state issues the license and registers males for Selective Service effective when they turn 18. He said that he has had parents call him in anger about this, but it is state law.

It was news to me, but the driving instructor I called for information mentioned it in the course of the conversation. He actually gives the driving exam and sends the results to the state if you are successful, and then the state issues the license and registers males for Selective Service effective when they turn 18. He said that he has had parents call him angry about this, but it is state law.

Thanks. That's useful to know since our state automatically will register ds.

It was news to me, but the driving instructor I called for information mentioned it in the course of the conversation.  He actually gives the driving exam and sends the results to the state if you are successful, and then the state issues the license and registers males for Selective Service effective when they turn 18. He said that he has had parents call him angry about this, but it is state law.

That's it then. He got a learner's permit a few months ago. This website says Georgia is one that is "enacted and implemented". I had no idea.

Here in SC, part of the application for Driver's Permit, Driver's License, and State ID Card includes a section that explains that when a young man turns 18yo, his information will automatically be forwarded to Selective Service unless he forfeits the permit / license / ID card before then. If I remember correctly, there is even a spot where the applicant (and possibly parent) has to initial that they understand that's what will happen.