Menu

6th grade writing for new hs'ed son

I would love to get some ideas for writing curriculum for my son who will be newly hs'wd this fall. There are so many choices, I'm drowning. I'm hoping that if I describe him and what I want, you can at least help me narrow it down.

I've been told by a previous teacher (4th gr) that he is a gifted writer. I don't know if that is accurate, but I've seen and been impressed by his creativity and ability to craft imaginative stories. Problem is, he sees no value in the mechanics, punctuation, format. He wants to do it his way only.

He thrived on believing and being told he was a good writer. Then came 5th grade and some pretty hideous writing assignments that very few kids could do (expository). Therefore, he hates expository writing. But, he still has to learn how to do it.

I want something set up that allows him to be somewhat creative, yet within a clear format.

Grammar will be R&S 5 and I've considered just using the writing assignments in there and call it done. Bit, if this is something he can truly excel in, perhaps I should add in something else and get that love back AND learn to write things other than his lively stories.

WWS looks good to me, but I worry of he can be dropped straight into that. I'm thinking probably not. I like the structured format of the lessons.

Any suggestions for me?

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to get some ideas for writing curriculum for my son who will be newly hs'wd this fall. There are so many choices, I'm drowning. I'm hoping that if I describe him and what I want, you can at least help me narrow it down.

I've been told by a previous teacher (4th gr) that he is a gifted writer. I don't know if that is accurate, but I've seen and been impressed by his creativity and ability to craft imaginative stories. Problem is, he sees no value in the mechanics, punctuation, format. He wants to do it his way only.

He thrived on believing and being told he was a good writer. Then came 5th grade and some pretty hideous writing assignments that very few kids could do (expository). Therefore, he hates expository writing. But, he still has to learn how to do it.

I want something set up that allows him to be somewhat creative, yet within a clear format.

Grammar will be R&S 5 and I've considered just using the writing assignments in there and call it done. Bit, if this is something he can truly excel in, perhaps I should add in something else and get that love back AND learn to write things other than his lively stories.

WWS looks good to me, but I worry of he can be dropped straight into that. I'm thinking probably not. I like the structured format of the lessons.

Any suggestions for me?

If you like WWS but he is not ready for it, have a look at Writing With Ease (or WWE, which comes before WWS in the Complete Writer series).  Hmm....I'm thinking that since he's apparently going into 6th grade, you might want to teach him the WWE skills via just the WWE Instructor Text (instead of using the workbooks).  That way you can tailor his writing lessons (and yes, the instructor text tells you how to teach) to his history/literature/science reading.  Another benefit of this is that he might come to like (or at least not hate it) expository writing, since he will be writing about what he's reading.  You could take him through the sections you think he needs, and once he's done with the "year 3" section, he could then start WWS.

I've used R&S for grammar all along, and I tried awhile ago to use the writing lessons in it.  But, IMO, WWE and WWS are SO MUCH better instruction and application-wise.

http://peacehillpress.com/language-arts/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-instructor-text/

With this, you do not need the workbooks.  You just need this book, pencil, paper, and reading books of your choosing.

Have a look at the samples linked - there is an essay that might put your mind at ease.

I have also found that the Narrative 2 book of the Writing & Rhetoric program from Classical Academic Press is a very nice lead-in to WWS.  It introduces many of the skills that are gone into in-depth in WWS, yet it might be a better fit for a kid who likes creative writing - there are more creative components to this program, but within very structured lessons.  It would definitely ease him into WWS-style expository writing, rather than dropping him right into the deep end!

Hi Colleen!  :seeya:

Thank you all for weighing in. I appreciate it! Since my original posting, I decided to go with Classical Composition Fable and Narrative. I will know if this was a mistake soon after we begin in late August. I'm giving him the entire summer to decompress from PS with no schooling whatsoever in order to have a fresh start end of August. I will keep all of your suggestions in the event CC was not "it" for him. He really loves to play with/substitute words (for effect) and change up the order of events (start with the ending, for example) and the exercises to do this in Fable, I feel, will appeal to him. But I could be all wrong, and time will tell.