Menu

History activities that add depth

Well how deep do you want to go??  I let dd toss things last year and pursue an interest in the Holocaust.  She did interviews, visited centers, etc. etc.  Just depends on what you want to do and for how long and how much the student might take it over.

Btw, you had been talking about evals and I lost track.  Did those ever happen?  How did they go?  Maybe that person had some suggestions on how to approach this?  Ours basically said let her go farther and farther into unit studies and interest-driven, the farther the better.

It sounds lame, but in our house it's dinner table discussions. Dh is a history buff and can add a lot of perspective to whatever we're learning about, and sometimes we end up talking for a long time. An hour later, the table is piled with atlases and reference books and the dishes still aren't done. But it's fun!

Stanford History Education Group's free document-centered lessons: http://sheg.stanford.edu/rlh

We had a great time with these last year, and will be doing more of them next year, and probably every year. They pose an interesting historical question with no single easy answer and give you some well-selected historical documents to read. Then you come to your own conclusions. Just like a real historian!

My kids and I remember the smallest details about the lessons we did. It's a fun, challenging way to go deep, and all the work of organizing lessons and choosing documents has been done for you. It's open-and-go. One of the best things we've ever done.