Menu

Programming for an 8th grader?

My son did An Hour of Code last year and enjoyed it, though it seemed to be directed overall at younger students. I'd like him to learn some programming now, but I know less than nothing about this. I am aware of:

raspberry pi

Code School-Rails for Zombies

Code Academy

Can anyone give me some guidance on beginning programming for a student whose teacher does not know the subject?

There are a lot of options for coding at that age, and it really depends on your son's interest level and logical abilities. Most programs oriented for the age group focus on scripting inside gaming engines, but if he is serious, he could pick up Java or even C++. DS12 (at the time, 11) used "Games and Graphics in C++" by Gaddis, and liked it. He also got a long ways through "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Dawson.

At that age, I had learned Basic, Pascal, machine code, and a smattering of Fortran, so I wouldn't assume that he can't handle serious meat because of his age. Instead, you could look at a great opportunity to further his logical thinking, which will only help his math skills down the line.

See if you can find a technical book store in your area, and let him browse a few interesting choices. I'd bet he already has a clue or two, and you could pursue those.

If he really has no idea, and is just toying with the idea, then the scripting options would be a wise first choice (Scratch, et al). I would go as far as introductory Javascript at most.

This is where I direct everyone who asks: http://www.forthuntparent.com/academy/HTMLFrontPage.cfm?CFID=2779769&CFTOKEN=14cacbdd56258c23-0FC20000-0FBE-F5A9-54FAF73E381A509B

My son started with the (free) HTML course, and has since worked through CSS and is working on Java. All the courses are excellent, as is the instructor. Don't worry if you don't know anything about programming. I intentionally chose NOT to learn alongside my son ( in part, to help foster independence and ownership), and that was probably the best decision I made all year. There is a "help desk" where student can submit their problems, and if that doesn't help, the instructor is always available for assistance. I honestly cannot say enough good things about it! :)

I totally understand if your son wants to skip past scratch and the like. My son did too-- he wanted to learn the coding behind the scenes, and wasn't interested in the preliminary steps. At this age, I don't think it matters.

This is where I direct everyone who asks: http://www.forthuntparent.com/academy/HTMLFrontPage.cfm?CFID=2779769&CFTOKEN=14cacbdd56258c23-0FC20000-0FBE-F5A9-54FAF73E381A509B

My son started with the (free) HTML course, and has since worked through CSS and is working on Java. All the courses are excellent, as is the instructor. Don't worry if you don't know anything about programming. I intentionally chose NOT to learn alongside my son ( in part, to help foster independence and ownership), and that was probably the best decision I made all year. There is a "help desk" where student can submit their problems, and if that doesn't help, the instructor is always available for assistance. I honestly cannot say enough good things about it! :)

I totally understand if your son wants to skip past scratch and the like. My son did too-- he wanted to learn the coding behind the scenes, and wasn't interested in the preliminary steps. At this age, I don't think it matters.

Excellent! Thank you! I wonder how often the class he is offering repeats. We may not do the most current one. Do you have any idea?

Excellent! Thank you! I wonder how often the class he is offering repeats. We may not do the most current one. Do you have any idea?

I think he starts the HTML class every couple months or so, very regularly at least. It's a go-at-your-own-pace program, no live classes to "attend". I hope your son gets the chance to try it! :)

If you go for a more serious language, check out Dark/GDK for C++.  It's really easy for kids to make scroller games with that, while learning a serious language.  The Java (not the same as JavaScript) options are also very worthwhile if you have someone who wants to learn the guts of coding.

That list, though, has excellent options for initial forays.