Menu

Typing vs handwriting first drafts (3rd grade)

Tranquility7

I believe in handwriting... but it wears DS out (though he does do it fairly well).  He is a rising third grader (just turned 8) and loves LA and is very linguistically precocious.  He wants to write stories (we have started CAP W&R Fable and he LOVES it).  We do most of the lesson orally, but I want him to write his first draft on his own (best he can).  They will be short, but maybe still a lot for a young 8 yr old to hand write...

How important is it for him to hand write the drafts?  He would rather type them (he is a reasonably competent typist).  But I'd also kind of like a handwritten notebook of his writing projects through the years (plus I want him to build some endurance). 

What about doing it like this:

- let him type the first draft on his own

- print it triple spaced, we edit it together and mark it up

- he makes the corrections on his computer and reprints

- we review it together to make sure there are no errors or other improvements he wants to make

- if any changes, he makes them on the computer and reprints

- if no changes, he hand copies that final draft into his composition book (and illustrates it if he wants to)

Is there any downside to doing it this way? 

I believe in handwriting... but it wears DS out (though he does do it fairly well).  He is a rising third grader (just turned 8) and loves LA and is very linguistically precocious.  He wants to write stories (we have started CAP W&R Fable and he LOVES it).  We do most of the lesson orally, but I want him to write his first draft on his own (best he can).  They will be short, but maybe still a lot for a young 8 yr old to hand write...

How important is it for him to hand write the drafts?  He would rather type them (he is a reasonably competent typist).  But I'd also kind of like a handwritten notebook of his writing projects through the years (plus I want him to build some endurance). 

What about doing it like this:

- let him type the first draft on his own

- print it triple spaced, we edit it together and mark it up

- he makes the corrections on his computer and reprints

- we review it together to make sure there are no errors or other improvements he wants to make

- if any changes, he makes them on the computer and reprints

- if no changes, he hand copies that final draft into his composition book (and illustrates it if he wants to)

Is there any downside to doing it this way? 

I'm just trying to imagine either of my 8yo dc writing multiple drafts of anything, typewritten or handwritten. o_0

A few months ago I was talking to friends whose children are entering public high school next year. They were working on charter/magnet school applications and one of the essays was supposed to be handwritten. Every single student typed their first drafts, then wrote the final by hand after editing.

All that to say that I think what you are describing is fine! :)

PS. It struck me because I wrote all my application essays by hand, then typed them. Times have changed. :)