Menu

Left CC Challenge? Where did you land?

Wondering if anyone here has left the Classical Conversations Challenge levels, and if so, where did you land?

Did you choose a curriculum package approach (Sonlight, MFW)?

Maybe online learning (VP Omnibus, TPS)?

Local Co-op?

Eclectic?

Looking for something rigorous, but not consuming. Challenge was both of these. Also looking for something that is gospel saturated.  Does not need to be Classical. Classical is great, but so is CM. Or an eclectic mix. How do I not replicate the consuming nature of Challenge, but provide enough rigor that these kids are not bored with a more relaxed curriculum? And preserve own sanity simultaneously?

For the record, I am not ready to discuss why we are leaving the program.  We are still sitting on that fence. There may be a time to thoughtfully explore that, but the time is not now. Perhaps later, depending on which side of the fence we land on.

Thanks for your understanding and your help.

xposted in k-8.

No personal experience with CC, so I can't help with the specific "where did you land after" question… BUT… Thinking through some "big picture" questions might help you think through what direction you want to head, or help narrow down what resources would be a good fit.   :) So, here goes:

- What are your 3-4 overall, most important goals to accomplish before high school graduation?

Looks like you have DC ages 15, 13, and 10. Esp. because you have a high school-aged student (and maybe this coming year, two high schoolers), now is a good time to take a step back and think through what are your family's big goals that you want to see accomplished in the time remaining (2-3 years of high school, for your oldest). The past thread, "high school curriculum, where do I start?" has tips for thinking through making a high school plan.

The goals may be things like:

- passing on family values and spiritual training

- making sure specific life skills are in place (i.e., Driver's Ed, typing, personal finance, nutrition, fitness, home/auto maintenance...)

- accomplish enough academics to be "college prep" (i.e., prepare student for admission to college of choice)

- explore interests through finding/participating in extracurriculars

- making sure specific academic classes important to your family are accomplished (ex: Computer, Latin, Logic, Music, 4 years chronological History…)

- taking a special family trip all together

- participation in a sport, theater, or specific group, or whatever supports/develops the student's passion

So, how does CC assist/not assist in achieving these goals? If you find that CC (or any curriculum or program, really) is -- or is not -- actively moving you towards achieving your goal, that may help you decide whether or not you have the time/need for it.

- What curricula have you been using for CC that worked well?

As I recall, CC Challenge uses Saxon math, Apologia science, and Henle Latin. If those are working well for your student(s), then it would be easy on everyone to continue using whatever is working.

- Would you want/need support to continue using the curricula you have been using for CC?

There are video tutorials as support specifically for Saxon and Apologia. There are online classes that use some of these same programs, so you can completely outsource, if needed. You can also look for a local tutor for 1-on-1 help. Some local homeschool co-ops offer the science labs as a class. What about trading with another local homeschooler -- once a week, you help her students in your area of expertise, and she helps your students in her area of expertise...

- What was NOT working well as curricula used for CC? Why?

What about the curriculum was not working: too fast? too slow? not a learning style match for the student? not a teaching match for you? not engaging? Once you've pinpointed why it's not working, you can post and ask for ideas about different programs, or different ways of doing programs to work around why it's not working. For example, there are other curricula for math and science that have video lessons, or are more/less rigorous than Saxon or Apologia...

- Overall, what did your students LIKE about CC Challenge, that you would like to replicate or continue?

For example was the classroom interaction esp. helpful and enjoyable? Then a local co-op, or a single class at the local private/public/charter school might work. Or an online class. Or set up a weekly or bi-weekly opportunity with a few other homeschoolers in your area and do science labs together.

Was it the public speaking opportunities? See if you have any other opportunities in your area: 4-H; a branch of a state or national speech & debate team; mock legislative or mock trial group; youth theater; local co-op or after school group with public speaking or speech & debate. Lots of specific groups with public speaking speech & debate, and mock legislative / mock trial opportunities linked in post #3 of the thread, "No more music concerts?"

Was it social interaction? Check out these threads for tons of ideas for a very wide range of extracurriculars:

No more music concerts?

Finding extra-curricular

What extracurricular activities for the high school years?

What kinds of extra activities for high schoolers?

DS is so, so lonely

- What specifically did your students NOT like / didn't connect / struggled with about CC Challenge?

These would be things to avoid for the coming year. For example, if it is something like being in a structured class setting, then you may not want to take on a local co-op, an online class, or dual enrollment for that student for this coming year. Or if it is using a specific curriculum, then switch to something else.

- What are your students' interests, and your goals, for the specific subject areas?

That may help you decide what direction to go as far as choosing among History and/or Literature programs, especially. Does the student like History, or is it just okay? Does the student like to read, or just tolerates reading? For a student who just tolerates reading and just wants to check off the History box, then most of the specific curricula ideas you listed in your post are probably not a fit. You may find that a text book for History and a "plain Jane" Literature & Writing program will take care of your needs quite nicely, and allow the student to focus on areas of interest -- computers, science, music/art, or whatever.

Also, what are your goals? For example, if you're wanting to make sure your student has everything needed for admission to a majority of colleges, then you'll want to make sure to do math up through Pre-Calculus. The past thread "Can someone link me to a nice 4-year plan for high school" is very helpful.

- What options are there for YOU to replace the parent social/support aspect of CC?

If the social and support aspect of CC was helpful to you as a homeschooling parent, don't forget to find ways of filling that need for YOU -- a weekly women's Bible study; participation in a group craft, class, book club, mom's night out, or other shared-interest group; local homeschool co-op, PE day, waiting for your kids or helping out with other homeschool moms at homeschool youth social events, etc.

This last year (2013-2014) was our first year without Classical Conversations, the previous seven we were very involved. My reasons were very different than the OP's though.  In Challenge, both of mine pulled high A's and were done with their work by lunchtime.  I wanted something harder for them.  And the Latin was not on track with the NLE, AP, and SAT II, which was important to me.  I was also disappointed at how few families took it seriously, but that was probably a campus issue more than a program issue.  In one level sometimes my kid was the only one who had done all of the work and was ready to discuss the book.  So different reasons.

My older one went to Omnibus with VPSA.  It's a lot of reading, but I've been very pleased with the quality of thinking and discussion.  The reading in Omnibus I if you do both primary (history) and secondary (lit) is more than you'll find in Challenge A, B, or I.  They also have some papers and written exams.  You certainly can use the lower levels of Omnibus for high school.  Another option that would give you more scheduling flexibility without the papers would be to use the self-paced versions.

My younger one went to a local, by-invitation class that covers history, literature, writing, and a 1/2 credit elective on one morning a week.  That has been good too.  The academic quality there is top-notch too, and that kid needs and wants the face-to-face time.

They do Latin online, although my oldest just finished AP Latin with Lukeion, and will take online Spanish through the community college next.  I teach them everything else, and that's gone fine.

I miss the social aspect for me, but I don't miss having to be the bad guy at home because I expected more than the tutor.  And I don't miss the stress getting all of my tutor materials, two kids, and the lunches to class once a week.  I only have to get one out the door once a week, and carpooling takes a big load off me.

Looking for something rigorous, but not consuming. Challenge was both of these. Also looking for something that is gospel saturated.  Does not need to be Classical. Classical is great, but so is CM. Or an eclectic mix. How do I not replicate the consuming nature of Challenge, but provide enough rigor that these kids are not bored with a more relaxed curriculum? And preserve own sanity simultaneously?

Lori D. made some excellent points in her post. 

I, too, have no experience with CC. However, with the above you seem to be describing MFW. 

Hello!

We were part of a CC community for 7 years.  My kids began when they were 5 and 7 years old.  My oldest just completed Challenge B.  As I began thinking about high school for my oldest son, I decided that the challenge program no longer meet our academic needs/goals.   So . . . we decided to try something different this year. 

We have opted to use the MFW Ancient History and Literature.  My current plan is to use this all 4 years of high school.  I chose MFW for a few different reasons:

• It covers one full cycle of history over 4 years, with a focus on American History during the last two years of high school.
  • Lesson plans are complete, but seem flexible enough for me to tweak as I see fit.
  • It includes Bible.  Students will read/study the entire Old Testament during 9th grade and the entire New Testament during 10th grade.
  • We have the ability to choose the math, science, foreign language and elective courses. 

We are fortunate enough to know several other families in the area who use MFW high school, so my son will use this in a co-op type setting.  The group will discuss Bible, history and literature.  They will also present essays and projects that are assigned in the curriculum guide.  We've also added an apologia science class/lab to do as a group.  I'm thankful that my son will still have an opportunity to meet with other students to learn alongside. 

Just back home after a working vacation 'off the grid'.  Thanks for your well thought out responses, especially all the visioning questions and practical suggestions and links from Lori D!  Will read the links tonight when the house is quiet. ;)

My youngers will continue CC involvement for this year. 13yo will be in Ch. B and I believe it is a good fit for him for many reasons, including the dynamic class relationships that continue to spur one another on to produce their best work.  It will likely be our last year in CC as their high school program is not in line with many personal goals for our family.

The two main struggles for 15yo are 1. Time management and organization (overall executive skills) (which makes a daily plan like MFW or Sonlight attractive); and 2. Social outlets for a child who is quiet and does not easily make new friends (but is very personable once relationships are established).  I'm eager to read those links about social outlets this evening, but have to say that our area has a real poverty of social opportunities (sports, academic, etc.) for homeschooled high schoolers.   He's just started karate, and I've contacted NCFCA about starting a debate team in this area, but doubt it will work for us because their regional divisions split our tri-state area into 2 regions.  We are currently considering private school since it is the only possible way for our natural athlete to play a team sport, even if it isn't 'his' sport.  Except he does not have the slightest iota of interest in the school we are considering. *sigh*   

Thanks again for your responses.  We know the Lord already has the path laid out. Just waiting to see it. 

… main struggles for 15yo … Social outlets for a child who is quiet and does not easily make new friends (but is very personable once relationships are established).  I'm eager to read those links about social outlets this evening, but have to say that our area has a real poverty of social opportunities (sports, academic, etc.) for homeschooled high schoolers.

Just wanted to encourage you that you may find social outlets for your DS in atypical or more broadly community-based activities:

- meeting like-minded people while volunteering or pursuing a hobby

- history recreation group / events

- ballroom dancing

- "off the beaten track" clubs (either community-based or after-school): ham radio, electronics, model railroading, filmmaking, 

- after school bowling league

- airsofting or paintballing

Scouting, 4-H, church youth groups are ways to meet similar-aged friends. And what homeschool groups are in your area that you could check out for teen activities… or that you could "mini-co-op" with? Or, did DS make any specific friends from your CC classes -- work to continue those friendships outside of CC!

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family this year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks, Lori D.  I'm still not done reading through all the pages of opportunities available for teens!  Thank you for the exhaustive links and threads. The vast majority are not available in our area, but one called Teen Court is.  For ds who may want to pursue law!  We are both excited to learn more about this group.  A few that are not available in our area would not be terribly difficult to start (TeenPact, National Home School Honor Society,...).

He is involved with Trail Life, but since it is a start-up group, it is still fairly small.  Karate is also a new interest we are pursuing as a family and he is catching on lightning fast compared to the rest of us.  Starting to see glimmers of good things this week!   Thanks again!