Menu

advise for 74 yo grandma starting homeschool?

Hi

I've written this out once before but must have lost it in the posting cause I can't find it on the boards . So here goes 2nd try.(crossing fingers)

My homeschool group contacted me about helping a 74 yo g'ma that is started to homeschool (her words) 'spirited' grandson. Curriculum needs to be very low cost. I don't know if she's looking for secular or religious so am open to any and all suggestions.

We use Keystone which is not low cost, and therefore out of the picture. I've thought of SOS and Lifepacs. Our library has textbooks that you can check out but she'd have to come up with her own lesson plans.

I though lesson plans might be a little intimidating/overwhelming at first. Since the school year has already starting for some, I've been told that she's in a somewhat panicked mode about curriculum.

I'd really like to have some solid info/suggestions for her when I do call her.

Any input, please?

nandell

It is a chunk of cash up front, but provides a lot of support for new homeschoolers, and everything is there. No researching, comparing curriculum, etc. In the long run, it is probably no more costly than pulling together many resources, and far easier with more support for the teacher. This assumes the kid is still elementary school age.

I can't believe I left out his grade.

He will be a 9th grader this year. I'm sure from what I've been told she doesn't have the money for Calvert. It would be a good option though if she could afford it.

Unfortunately, in Texas the virtual K-12 school only goes up to 8th grade at this time or it ,too, would be a good choice

Any other ideas? I need to call her this evening

Go to ebay or abebooks, buy older Foerster, Warriner's and Apologia for <$5 each. Do each lesson as printed in the book, one a day.

Google Reading Your Way Through History. Print out the list of books. Assign all non-picture books for Ancients (free from library), require a timeline and book report for each and call it History. Include movies (library) that support Ancients

If Grandma is really motivated, remembers Latin or speaks another language, do that too. (another ebay textbook is called for)