Menu

Has anyone developed a curriculum around Philosophy for Kids, or something similar?

I'm considering teaching a philosophy/discussion class for our weekly co-op. We own Philosophy for Kids, but I need to fill 45 minutes, and I don't necessarily feel like the PfK lessons will do that. (I could very well be wrong, though--I'm not at all experienced with teaching a group larger than my few kids!) I'm wondering if anyone has already developed a bit more to use with PfK, or if anyone has anything that's sort of "open and go" for a small-group philosophy class. 

Thanks!

I just saw something at a conference that might be what you're looking for, called Philosophy Adventure. You can find information, samples and a video at www.homeschooladventure.com

Here's their description:

Philosophy Adventureâ„¢ is designed to help students 6th-12th grade cultivate and defend a biblical worldview by teaching them how to write skillfully, think critically, and speak articulately as they explore the history of ideas.

I liked the way the student text was laid out and am considering it for next year. It looked like the student text could be read together or independently by an older child and the CD contains teaching materials to be printed out. Each unit on a different philosopher is presented in a consistent manner including:

• Philosopher's Story
  • Assignments and articles to read
  • Information about the geography and life of the philosopher
  • The philosopher's school of thought
  • Contrasting his ideas with the bible using primary source material.