Menu

Looking for input about TT Math

Wildwood

Hello,

My daughter is currently using TT Math, she likes it and so do I.

My only concern is that it seems to me that TT sort of "skims the surface" with concepts and maybe doesn't flesh out concepts quite enough.  This makes me a little worried that I'm possibly not providing for her a deep enough understanding of the concepts so she's getting the big picture of math.  I hope that makes sense.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks the same and has supplemented TT to round it out some?

If so, could you share any supplement you've chosen to go along with TT?

Thank you.

What grade are you using? I used TT5 with my son this year and my just finished K daughter is doing TT3 as a fun supplement to her "regular" math.

I know TT works for some as their main curriculum, but I would definitely add in supplements and extra work to solidify the concepts if I were using it as our main curriculum. My son was behind in math, and TT worked for him this year, but he still has a ways to go until he is "caught up." I do think TT runs "behind" other curriculum.

I don't know what it would be like to use it all the way through- it might be a solid program if you decide to use it until the end, but I do think there Should be extra practice somewhere.

Thank you.

She's in TT4, although she needs to be in TT5 for correct placement.  I'm just on the fence still about whether or not to go with TT from here on, so haven't ordered TT5 yet.  I'm needing to make a decision, for sure.  I know TT5 would give her a little bit more of a challenge, but I still wonder if TT just sort of skims the surface through the levels?

That's how I kind of feel also. I think to really make it thorough, something need to be added to it. If you could possibly add some specific sections from MM or something similar for more work and practice maybe that would work? I love TT itself though, and I do feel like they DO cover some good stuff, just not as in depth as I personally would like. I know there are others on here that use the program successfully and I am hoping they will chime in and give their experiences as well.

I used TT with my second child (a son) for Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have - or I might have noticed as you did that it does tend to "skim the surface". He did great and basically got everything correct as he went through it and he didn't complain about it. OK - the getting everything correct should also have raised a red flag (at that point I was homeschooling 4 and I guess this just slipped past me).

Then he started doing PSAT, SAT and ACT. Oh my. From the results of his TT tests he should have been acing the math part of those. But  he wasn't. And then I woke up and realized what the problem was. He then redid Algebra 2 using Life of Fred and did LOF Trig and then Thinkwell's Calculus. And his math scores on the standardized tests improved. 

So - you are right to be concerned. Either switch curriculums (I would do that), or at least supplement. You have figured this out early so no harm done. My mistake was much worse.

Btw - I don't think TT is an awful curriculum. I think for kids who struggle with math and whose parents struggle too it is probably great. I really like the way they have worked out solutions for every problem. But it isn't a good idea for most.

We pair TT with Cuisenaire Rods and will be adding LOF in here shortly.  At this point, I likely won't be switching from TT and know (really know) it's working well for our family.  BUT if I could do it all over again and TT wasn't already successful and something that works?  Not sure.   With several past math curriculum changes I'm just too scared to put my kids behind (they're finally caught up on grade level-using TT a year ahead, of course).  

Okay, thanks.  You've been helpful.  I guess I'll have to either supplement or find something different altogether.  I'm not crazy about having to supplement, so maybe it makes sense to find something else that provides more of what I'm looking for. 

Older DD has used TT3 and 4. I've noticed that there is a lot of repetition between levels, and each time they go a little deeper. So a topic that was covered very lightly in TT3 is repeated in TT4, but at a more challenging level. Looking at TT5 I can see this pattern continuing. This approach works very, very well for my DD. Good luck with your decision. :)

Okay, thanks.  You've been helpful.  I guess I'll have to either supplement or find something different altogether.  I'm not crazy about having to supplement, so maybe it makes sense to find something else that provides more of what I'm looking for. 

Honestly, I've put off using LOF so it's just review so that it can be done independently as much as possible. :P

Older DD has used TT3 and 4. I've noticed that there is a lot of repetition between levels, and each time they go a little deeper. So a topic that was covered very lightly in TT3 is repeated in TT4, but at a more challenging level. Looking at TT5 I can see this pattern continuing. This approach works very, very well for my DD. Good luck with your decision. :)

This is helpful, thank you.

Thank you.

So are you using LOF as review of the concepts or for deeper understanding-or both? : )

I'm not sure LOF is super conceptual (anyone?), so we'd be using it mainly for procedural review.  What do you mean by a deeper understanding?  TT is great about things like not just borrowing and carrying decimals mindlessly for example but teaching place value.  It may not be amazeballs (sorry, we started out homeschooling with an Asian math curriculum and it was such a disaster and set us back here, my oldest needs things broken down in to baby steps and line upon line, precept upon precept.  I was so glad when I finally gave up what was ideal for what works for him) when it comes to conceptual understanding, but it's there.  Unless, I'm missing it?

I guess I just mean more of an understanding of the why behind the concepts and not just the how-not relying simply on algorithms (although, maybe TT goes beyond just algorithms, so we're probably good?).

I want my daughter to have some out-of-the-box thinking, some mental stretching with math concepts so that she can think on her own outside of a set formula.  I hope that makes sense.  I just fear that TT is too comfy for her, it's quick and easy and doesn't seem to make her jog her brain much.  Although, I am sure this is partly due to placement-I need to get her up to TT 5.  I've just been apprehensive about moving forward with TT, but maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill ; )  I'm now thinking placement might be the issue for her.  And maybe just adding some sort of quick, critical thinking book to exercise her brain a bit will be good.

Like you, I have no desire for an Asian type math program, I know it isn't a fit for either of us.  My daughter also does well with things broken down in baby steps.

You've been a great help.  Thank you.

I totally get it and hear you, and part of why TT works for us is because I stink at math, too.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  I know my children are getting a good education with TT (at least a better education than what I had- public schooled), so I take comfort in that.  

A couple things come to mind. Almost every time I encounter math in real life I get one of my children involved.  Today my 2nd grader wanted to know how many pages he had left of a work book.  So, I asked him how he could figure that out using math.  He took the number of total pages minus how many pages completed and got his answer.  The answer involved borrowing.  I do that all. the. time.  Even if it's something over their heads, I still expose them to math letting them do what they can.  Seriously, dividing up snacks into equal amounts.  Everything!  Those are simple examples, but you get the idea.

I know some TT (and MUS) moms incorporate Singapore's Challenging Word problems as a summer thing.  Also, logic puzzles and games are good.  

I used to worry, but I'm over that now.   :p  I know I can't teach super conceptual math.  I've BTDT, and we've finally recovered.  TT is what got us back on track and maybe we could switch and do fine, but it's working great for our personalities and home dynamics.  

I *totally* get you : )  

Yep, I think with TT my daughter is way above and beyond my public school math education-what a dark time for me, lol ; )

Just like you, I look for EVERY opportunity to teach a math lesson in everyday life-so much so that my daughter gets annoyed, lol.  Thank you for that.

I've had friends recommend the Singapore Challenging Word Problems, so I think ultimately that's the way to go.  Be good with TT as a base and add in stuff as needed or desired.

Thank you, thank you : )

I *totally* get you : )  

Yep, I think with TT my daughter is way above and beyond my public school math education-what a dark time for me, lol ; )

Just like you, I look for EVERY opportunity to teach a math lesson in everyday life-so much so that my daughter gets annoyed, lol.  Thank you for that.

I've had friends recommend the Singapore Challenging Word Problems, so I think ultimately that's the way to go.  Be good with TT as a base and add in stuff as needed or desired.

Thank you, thank you : )

Oh my word.  I try not to think about it.

Seriously, we are like math bosom friends! lol! 

I love TT  for my average mathy kiddo.  He uses it a year ahead and I have had to supplement it some.  When he was in TT3 he did math drills with Timez attack until he knew his facts cold.  This year and next we are using the Key to workbooks to supplement.  (I can't say enough great things about the Key to workbooks)  and we also add word problems.  But I supplement everything so I don't feel guilty for adding to TT.   I also consider it about right since he does his TT lesson and then an extra 15 or 30 minutes of the supplement later.  So math is on average an hour a day give or take and he gets excellent scores on our end of the year testing.  He is happy and I am happy.   If he was a math wiz, then it wouldn't be enough.  

I love TT  for my average mathy kiddo.  He uses it a year ahead and I have had to supplement it some.  When he was in TT3 he did math drills with Timez attack until he knew his facts cold.  This year and next we are using the Key to workbooks to supplement.  (I can't say enough great things about the Key to workbooks)  and we also add word problems.  But I supplement everything so I don't feel guilty for adding to TT.   I also consider it about right since he does his TT lesson and then an extra 15 or 30 minutes of the supplement later.  So math is on average an hour a day give or take and he gets excellent scores on our end of the year testing.  He is happy and I am happy.   If he was a math wiz, then it wouldn't be enough.  

This is VERY helpful, thank you : ) 

Math Mammoth was a bust here and we moved to TT, it's been a good fit for DS1.  I do supplement with word problems and have some of the "Key to..." books that I haven't pulled out yet but will soon.  DD1 started with TT also after she did MCP Math in K and 1st.  For now, it's working for our family and consistently gets done, and has stopped me from jumping around (MUS, MM, Singapore - poor DS1!) so I'm pleased with it.  

So, I JUST got my kid's (who had to test this year) standardized test scores in the mail.  He's had 1 year of MUS Alpha (one year of doing the same operation-a great great program, but SNOZE) and has done 3 years of TT.  He scored in the 99th percentile, didn't miss a problem, and was given a 13th grade equivalent in math..  I knew this child would do great (he has all the qualities that make him a great math student and test taker and we do test prepping), but, still, so pleased with TT here.

We switched from Horizons 5 to TT Math 7 and my daughter is doing, well, average. She's getting concepts as they are introduced but makes silly mistakes over and over and over. Those are the ones that irk me the most. If she missed the concept, I'd get that.

Well, I heard a pith the "Key to ....." Series and bought Fractions. She spent 6 weeks on the 4 books set and wow, it made a huge difference. I had her go back to TT and just take the test at the end of the fraction rest and she did great. We just finished a few more TT chapters and I want to go back to Key to Decimals and then Key to Percents. We have done the first 8 books of LOF and will continue till the end with that series and a component each year.

I think the combination helps her to process math in multiple ways and I'm always open to tweaking as we move thru the future grades.

Michelle

We switched from Horizons 5 to TT Math 7 and my daughter is doing, well, average. She's getting concepts as they are introduced but makes silly mistakes over and over and over. Those are the ones that irk me the most. If she missed the concept, I'd get that.

Well, I heard a pith the "Key to ....." Series and bought Fractions. She spent 6 weeks on the 4 books set and wow, it made a huge difference. I had her go back to TT and just take the test at the end of the fraction rest and she did great. We just finished a few more TT chapters and I want to go back to Key to Decimals and then Key to Percents. We have done the first 8 books of LOF and will continue till the end with that series and a component each year.

I think the combination helps her to process math in multiple ways and I'm always open to tweaking as we move thru the future grades.

Michelle

My oldest is very much like your daughter.  I've talked with him about how math is great for developing paying careful attention to detail and all the wonderful things math works in us that are important life skills. A good part of his math time was working on reading directions thoroughly, lining up columns correctly, etc, etc. etc.  Seriously, exactness had to be my hill do die on with him. He's my artsy, poetic kid though, and has so many great, wonderful natural qualities.  

The Key to series samples that I viewed online looked great. I like that they can power through them.  I also searched the WTM and it looks like users of MM and Horizons (just to name a few) benefited from them for solidifying fraction, decimals, etc.  

My boys are super excited to start LOF.  We ordered the whole elementary set and they fell in love.  In the end, I just decided to require fractions and up  though (they work in them for fun occasionally, but they don't really win out in free time, lol).