Menu

Poetry for k-3

Some books you might like: Poetry Speaks to Children (with CD of readings), Poems to Learn by Heart (Caroline Kennedy), The Children's Treasury of Classic Poetry (Baxter), A Light in the Attic (Silverstein).

What type of poetry?  Are you looking to teach them to write it, just enjoy it, or memorize it?  There's a scholastic series on writing poetry that I liked by Reggie Routman but I can't recall the name.  It's geared toward different grade levels and has lots of kid written examples based on mentor texts.

Just for fun reading, we got a book of Limericks this week at the library called Pigericks.  My rising 2nd graders are eating it up.  I'm personally a free verse kind of gal, but they love the structure right now.  I also got a book called Guyku (or haiku for boys) and a picture book called Dogku where the story is told all in haiku.  

What type of poetry?  Are you looking to teach them to write it, just enjoy it, or memorize it?  There's a scholastic series on writing poetry that I liked by Reggie Routman but I can't recall the name.  It's geared toward different grade levels and has lots of kid written examples based on mentor texts.

Just for fun reading, we got a book of Limericks this week at the library called Pigericks.  My rising 2nd graders are eating it up.  I'm personally a free verse kind of gal, but they love the structure right now.  I also got a book called Guyku (or haiku for boys) and a picture book called Dogku where the story is told all in haiku.  

I just want to fill their minds with great poetry. I was actually hoping for free stuff. Like Robert Louise Stevenson, which is available on gutenberg.org

Maybe I'm too cheap

:eek:

I just want to fill their minds with great poetry. I was actually hoping for free stuff. Like Robert Louise Stevenson, which is available on gutenberg.org

Maybe I'm too cheap

Lol!  Never- I get almost everything at the library. :)

Maybe I'm too cheap

In that case I suggest taking the time to learn Ambleside Online's website. There's a steep learning curve to figuring out how to find specific resources over there, but it's a treasure trove for good, and free, poetry.

What I would like to find is a vintage poetry text that also includes questions for poetry study. Vintage English school books often includes this, but I would love to find something that was solely poetry study or poetry and art study.

Here are some links you might enjoy:

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/poetry.htm

http://freehomeschoolinglibrar.blogspot.com/search/label/Children%27s%20Poetry

What I would like to find is a vintage poetry text that also includes questions for poetry study. Vintage English school books often includes this, but I would love to find something that was solely poetry study or poetry and art study.

Here are some links you might enjoy:

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/poetry.htm

http://freehomeschoolinglibrar.blogspot.com/search/label/Children%27s%20Poetry

I think the Ontario readers are largely poetry.