Menu

Exercise people: could I get some weight-lifting advice?

Greta

Currently, I'm doing workouts two days a week that involve low weights and high reps (well, I'm also doing cardio on other days but that's another story). I'd like to add one day a week of weight training that is lower reps and higher weights.

I'd like to hit all the major muscles with as few different exercises as possible. So I'm thinking:

Squats

Dead lifts

Pull-ups or Chin-ups

Push-Ups or Bench press

Overhead press (or military press?)

Does that sound like a reasonable regimen? And how many reps/sets should I do?

When I lift heavy, I aim for 3 sets of 10, using proper form.

Thanks!

What about biceps and triceps? I know pull ups hit them but it's mostly a back exercise.

I was thinking the pull-ups would be enough, but I'm certainly open to being corrected.

If you are using a heavy for you weight, I believe the recommendation is 5x5.  With heavy weights you want low reps with decent rest between sets.  

I highly recommend finding a good program to follow. SJ recommended 2 good ones.  Girls Gone Strong just came out with a complete program.  You could also check out the book, New Rules for Lifting for Women .

If you are using a heavy for you weight, I believe the recommendation is 5x5. With heavy weights you want low reps with decent rest between sets.

I highly recommend finding a good program to follow. SJ recommended 2 good ones. Girls Gone Strong just came out with a complete program. You could also check out the book, New Rules for Lifting for Women .

Thanks, I will check these out!