Menu

Would SL Core 5 be too easy for 7th grade?

Bokons

I've heard lots of good things about it. I mainly would be using it for history, and I'd like something my ds can do mostly independently.

Thanks.

Colleen

I'm doing Core 5 this year with my 7th grade ds. I find that many parents with 10 or 11 year olds doing Core 5 express that the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer is too difficult and not engaging for them whereas slightly older children do better. My son, who turned 13 in Oct., after a breaking-in period of learning how to find information and record it, is doing well and it's just about right on his level. The readers and read-alouds are too easy to use as for a typical 7th grader's main literature/reading curriculum for the year, but they add so much to the study of culture. Because most of them are quick reads, it's not difficult to add a separate literature study for your work in English. As for other writing assignments that go with Core 5, the recommendation is always to use the ideas but adjust your expectations for output to the child's learning level.

My 13 year old 8th grader is halfway through Core 5 right now, he's doing it independently and it's not too easy at all, esp. if you add in LA 5. Eastern Hemisphere Explorer and World Book are teaching him a lot, and it's great to learn those skills of reading to find information. He's reading the readers/read alouds and history books. There are a few I'm going to read aloud to him b/c I've heard they may have questionable content. Those are

The Land I Lost

Shadow Spinner

7 Daughters for 7 Sons

And I think that's it.