Menu

BJUP Science- what is essential? what is consumable? Please?

battlemaiden

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=328262&netp_id=432796&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details

I'd get the TM, one student book, and two student activity manuals. And whatever equipment you don't have. Check Home Science Tools for this, but you might want to wait and see what you're going to use, after you get the TM.

I would only add that you may want to get the answer key to the Activity Manual, but it is optional. I don't like having to figure out answers, personally. Tests are optional, too.

I agree with gardenschooler. Don't order your science equipment till you've looked over the TM and determine what experiments you will do. I bought things ahead of time, but won't use it all, as some of the equipment I bought was for optional experiments.

I agree get the answer key to the activity manual. I hate having to think about answers and sometimes my dd did this on her own.

I too would wait to order the supplies for the experiments until you see what you want to do. At this point all the experiments are optional. My dd says that you need to do the one with the volcano. I don't remember if that was in the 5 grade or the 6 grade. We purchased a kit. It was a big hit with everyone!!

you only would need 2 activity manuals, and two sets of the tests if you choose to do those.

lynda

I'm using Science 5 with my 2nd and 5th grader, and I read the student pages from the TE out loud and we discuss them as they go. Then we go to the Activity Book. My older one generally works alone, and I help my younger one. Then we discuss their work. I agree that the Activity Book Answer Key is nice, but then I'm one that also likes the TE for the higher levels of Spelling Workout! To me it's a big time-saver.

As for supplies, I print out the complete list on Home Science Tools. If you click on the "Order Forms" link in the bar on their home page, you can get there. Then I look at what I have, what is easy for me to get, and glance at any experiments have special supplies that may be overly involved (they note this on the order form). Then I use their "Quick Order" option on the bar on their home page to type in the item numbers.