Menu

Supplements or Extra worksheet for AOPS

Guest purpletoes

Guest purpletoes

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone had used additional worksheets or problems to the AOPS for the purpose of more practice.  We are starting Pre Alg this summer and looking at the book, I'm hoping to reinforce the concept more by assigning a few more problems here and there.  What is a good complement to the book?  Anyone used Khan Academy with it also or something in similar?

Thanks

I bought a cheap pre-Algebra textbook (Lial's) and pick problems from there when a concept needs reinforcement. I wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone because it's busy, but it is a good source for equations. I think others have used Dolciani or Jacobs. DS just finished Chapter 8 and we've only used the textbook 4 times so I wouldn't spend too much money.

On occasion, I have mini-reviews. DS has a tendency to "compartmentalize" concepts so I'll take 5 minutes before he works to talk him through problem solving strategies. This morning it was converting fractions to decimals to ratios to percents.

He works indendently now, but will ask for help when he's stuck. When he comes to a tough problem and he's worked on it for awhile, I'll discuss it with him. What is the problem asking? Write it down. What do you know? Write it down. How can you make an equation? Write it down. The overwhelming majority of his difficulties come because he's not writing down his work.