Menu

YE creation geology?

My ds11 wants to study geology next year, and I'm looking for opinions on texts or programs that have a young Earth basis. TIA

Also, do you think it would be possible to cover the basics of geology from a secular textbook, and simply skip the chapter that covers the age of the earth from an evolutionary viewpoint? Not interested in debates, just reviews. Thank you! :)

My ds11 wants to study geology next year, and I'm looking for opinions on texts or programs that have a young Earth basis. TIA

Also, do you think it would be possible to cover the basics of geology from a secular textbook, and simply skip the chapter that covers the age of the earth from an evolutionary viewpoint? Not interested in debates, just reviews. Thank you! :)

I don't know anything about YE, but from my experience you won't be able to just skip a chapter about the age of the earth. Different ages of things are mentioned throughout all the texts I've seen, ie "This sedentary rock, xx million years old, was once an ancient seabed." It won't just be in a single chapter.

I don't know anything about YE, but from my experience you won't be able to just skip a chapter about the age of the earth. Different ages of things are mentioned throughout all the texts I've seen, ie "This sedentary rock, xx million years old, was once an ancient seabed." It won't just be in a single chapter.

That's what I was thinking. I have a couple secular texts I was thinking about using, but now I'm not sure. I mean, for example, volcanoes work the way volcanoes work; that's an observable phenomenon. But getting into the origins of things is going to be too much work to differentiate between the two views. (At least, too much work for me!) :)

Thanks for helping me to "think" it through out loud, lol!

Surely at the age of 11, your son would already be aware that most people don't have YEC beliefs? If so, you might want to consider allowing him to learn geology wholesale from a mainstream textbook. After all, if he is going to study geology in later years, he will need to have some understanding of deep time and its ramifications as a concept, even though he personally believes it to be incorrect. You wouldn't have to individually contradict every single mention of old earth in the book: you could simply explain at the beginning the text is written from that perspective, with which you don't agree, but it's good for him to know because that's where most other people are coming at it from. You may well find some nice YE resources, however if you completely censor out conventional OE information, he's going to be at a disadvantage later on, should he wish to continue with his geology.

My DH said that the Insititute for Creation Research (ICR) might have some materials you could use. The only other thing he knew of was The Geology Book and possibly searching Creation Ministries International's website for geology articles (they have a huge online database).

BJU Space & Earth Science?

My DH said that the Insititute for Creation Research (ICR) might have some materials you could use. The only other thing he knew of was The Geology Book and possibly searching Creation Ministries International's website for geology articles (they have a huge online database).

Thank you!

Having reviewed many Science books for public schools, I would advice againt them. If you can do APOLOGIA or Master BOOKs that would be better, or even ABEKA. That would be great, as the other books, seculars, cannot help themselves. It looks like they have to proove their pholosophy on every page. To the point of photoshoping (unnecessarily) some pictures, as I vividly recall a recent review of a Prantice Hall. Now if you have older science texts, that would be better, but then the Science will be old.

It is nice to get the pure Science and you get that from the Apologia books. The Science and Math is not compromized due to view point.

hope that helps.

Surely at the age of 11, your son would already be aware that most people don't have YEC beliefs? If so, you might want to consider allowing him to learn geology wholesale from a mainstream textbook. After all, if he is going to study geology in later years, he will need to have some understanding of deep time and its ramifications as a concept, even though he personally believes it to be incorrect. You wouldn't have to individually contradict every single mention of old earth in the book: you could simply explain at the beginning the text is written from that perspective, with which you don't agree, but it's good for him to know because that's where most other people are coming at it from. You may well find some nice YE resources, however if you completely censor out conventional OE information, he's going to be at a disadvantage later on, should he wish to continue with his geology.

We believe in YEC, yet we've taught our daughter old earth and evolutionary theory so that she can discuss them all with anyone. Just because someone believes in YE doesn't mean they don't teach the other belief systems. I don't know why people always assume that.

We believe in YEC, yet we've taught our daughter old earth and evolutionary theory so that she can discuss them all with anyone. Just because someone believes in YE doesn't mean they don't teach the other belief systems. I don't know why people always assume that.

I was not assuming that. I'm aware that many families follow a similar path to your own. I was going by the original post which mentioned "skipping the chapter that covers the age of the earth from an evolutionary viewpoint". :)

I was not assuming that. I'm aware that many families follow a similar path to your own. I was going by the original post which mentioned "skipping the chapter that covers the age of the earth from an evolutionary viewpoint". :)

I apologize. I misunderstood your tone.