Menu

What would you do? Lit. study junior / senior years...

Hi all,

I am trying to come up with the basic framework for the next two years--ds junior & senior year.  I would really appreciate some input or advice on the set up for literature.  Here is what is running through my mind...and I just can't settle on a decision:

We are set up to study American History next year...I'm really very excited about what we have planned and have already spent time & money on the curriculum so I'm not changing the plans with it.  It will cover from colonial to early 21st century.

That being said, I'd like to have the Lit. & writing coordinate with the history but I'm open to deviating.  I've been trying to make a list of the books I'd like ds to cover next year so I can prep the lessons/writing assignments, etc.  I can come up with a list of Am. Lit from colonial to 21st century but my quandary arises because there are 1.) so many books that are left off that I feel strongly he should read 2.) some of the titles left off are not Am. Lit but would fall under world lit or british lit.

So...would it be better to title the course World Lit 1600-1850 (something like that) so he can study Donne, Bunyan, Austen, etc.  (we've done a strictly ancients--freshman yr & middle ages--soph. yr. so far) and then do World lit again senior year but 1850 to present?

Or junior year--do American lit. covering titles from colonial to present then do World lit. senior year from approx. 1600 to present.  Obviously, many great titles will need to be left off doing such a large span of time but great titles will be left off either way, I suppose.

Maybe I'm over thinking it...just not sure which way would make more sense...suggestions and different perspectives welcome!

Thanks!

We are in a similar place. I am pulling together a two year plan as well. Dd's credits will read:

US History 1.0 credit

Modern World History 1.0 credit

American Government 0.5 credit

Early Modern Literature 1.0 credit

Modern Literature 1.0 credit

I don't think high school English has to be unified in theme or overly specific in title.

You could title them English 11 and English 12. Specific titles can be listed in the course descriptions.

Unless you're trying to cover a specific theme (like Brit Lit or science fiction) I wouldn't let the desire to integrate with history be a strait jacket. When it is useful that's great. When it isn't, you're free to deviate.