Menu

For those who want to cut back on screen time (for their kids of course).....

but dont have the heart to face the tantrums....

We had recently fallen into the habit of watching TV in the evenings- not TV but Smallville DVDs actually, to which we were severely addicted...then they finished and there was this big emptiness.

So, as has happened before, my kids started pulling out movies and watching a movie each night. It happened subtly, just one at a time, and before you know it, it was an expectation.

So tonight, as they were getting ready to watch another movie, which I hadn't said they could, but I hadn't said they couldn't, really clearly, either....

I said no, they couldnt.

Dd, as usual in such terrible circumstances, shrugged and said ok.

Ds, however, as usuall in such terrible circumstances, acted like I had just told him he could never watch TV again. Ever. Or worse. He screamed. he went to his room and cried. He told me I betrayed him and I had promised he could watch this movie tonight. He told me I was living in the past, like, when I was a kid and we didnt have TV, or at least it was only black and white. Ha. I am not that old kiddo.

I stood firm. I waited the storm out. I didn't have to put him in his room because he went there to cry.

You know what they are doing now? This 12 and 14year old are playing LEGO! They haven't played Lego in years! They are sitting on the floor near me having a fantastic time, happy as anything, building things. Happy to discover pieces they had forgotten about.

So, there is hope.

If you do something twice, it's a "habit" and the "rule" (assuming they like that thing). Get up twice and take the dog for a morning walk, and that's it. Every morning you HAVE to go straight from bed and off on a walk.

Watch a show twice with your kids, and now tv watching feels like an absolute entitlement.

I have a feeling there are going to be tv withdrawals when the Olympics are over. We have been watching almost every evening, and when they are over, we will have to do something else because there is nothing on tv I want them watching. Thanks for the reminder to brace myself:) It will probably be harder for me than for them, though!