Menu

Military Moms....ASVAB??

Hi,

I have a son in high school who has struggled quite a bit with Grammar, needing to go back a bit and am going to do Easy Grammar.  He has wanted to be a marine for a long time.  Is there any ASVAB book you would recommend to give us an idea of what to study over the next few years to help him score better on it?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Using these resources can improve ASVAB scores by quite a bit. A lot of the anxiety about testing (if this is an issue) can be relieved by taking the practice exams. My DH was both a very successful recruiter and Company Commander. Preparing for the test is a huge part of the battle. :)

My son joined Air Force last year.  He took one practice ASVAB test at the recruiters office and one at home before going in to take the real one.  No other practice.  He scored well in to the 90 percentile (don't remember actual number - but he got a call from Navy asking if he was interested in Nuke School - he wasn't). 

He used Easy Grammar for High school - nothing else for grammar. 

I asked him after the test what he thought helped him prepare for the test and He said that studying for the ACT - which he took and didn't do very well on  :(  and watching Mythbusters on tv.  helped more than anything else.  weird I know. 

All that to say - have him take a practice test - and pic one good study book and then tell him to relax. 

My homeschool graduate that hated school and did poorly on the ACT scored higher than any of the others in his recruiters  group last summer.  :patriot:

Youngest son did very well on the ASVAB. We used Analytical Grammar (all 3 seasons in one year), Saxon for math (through Calculus), Robinson Curriculum reading list, and lots of ACT/SAT practice tests. Nothing especially targeted for the ASVAB.

My older son did very well on the ASVAB, and grammar isn't his strong suit :). We used Winston grammar, which he liked, and a tiny bit of diagramming sentences (just for fun; I'm not necessarily recommending it!). The only part he didn't do well on was the automotive & shop section (and he later took auto shop at the local high school). If he has taken a practice test, you could look over it to see what specific areas of grammar he needs to work on.