Menu

A People's History *Free* PDF workbook

http://www.metafilter.com/74275/Your-Tired-Your-Poor-Your-Huddled-Masses

A People's History for the Classroom [pdf] is a high school history lesson plan/workbook based on Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. The entire 124-page workbook available for free as a downloadable PDF, as part of the Zinn Education Project, supported by Rethinking Schools and Teaching for Change. You must enter an email and agree to take a later survey to download.

NEAT-O!! my best friend from high school was just telling me about this author! cool beans! Also if anyone didn't notice, on that link you can download the actual book for free too. well, it links to each chapter... i just saved the first page as a pdf in my hist ory files.

http://www.metafilter.com/74275/Your-Tired-Your-Poor-Your-Huddled-Masses

A People's History for the Classroom [pdf] is a high school history lesson plan/workbook based on Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. The entire 124-page workbook available for free as a downloadable PDF, as part of the Zinn Education Project, supported by Rethinking Schools and Teaching for Change. You must enter an email and agree to take a later survey to download.

i'm not seeing the free offer - only a pay $12.95 offer.

One of the first things I do whenever I come across items such as these is to read the author's "take" on either the Middle East or Terrorism, as both are important to world events right now.

This study guide, while interesting, strangely spends the entire lesson regarding Terrorism focusing on the United States as terrorists. I don't wish to debate whether or not the US has engaged in what may be legally construed as terrorist activity; what struck me as strange was that there were no examples of other nations or non-state entities engaging in the same behavior.

I'm really a "present the entire picture" type of person, and that is how I teach - so I guess I won't even go into the fact that it wasn't Columbus who "discovered" America...

asta

I agree. In the AP US History forum, some teachers speak highly of Zinn, but most also agree that students need to read other points of view, too. The standard textbook isn't really a balance to Zinn's views; textbooks usually present mainstream thought. Instead, I would want to present students with a more radical rightist approach to balance Zinn's leftist take on history. I think it's valuable for students to read both. To use Zinn alone in a history course would be a mistake IMHO.

I was checking into adding Good Will Hunting to my Netflix list....

From the IMDb

"When Will (Matt Damon) and Sean (Robin Williams) meet for the first time in Sean's office, Will recommends that Sean read Howard Zinn's "People's History of the United States". As a boy, Matt Damon was Zinn's neighbor and provided the voice for the CD recording of that book."

I didn't know there was a CD recording of the book. Might be worth checking out -- especially to hear Matt Damon's voice!

K