Menu

Best math for second grade Aspie son...suggestions?

Hi, my son just finished MFW first grade and we'll start MFW Adventures in a couple of months. I am having second thoughts about Singapore Math, which is what MFW is recommending for next year,because it seems to be a very conceptual math curriculum. My son, who has high functioning Aspergers has a hard time with concepts. I am worried that all the mental math and the "many ways to solve the same problem" approach might confuse and frustrate him. But....I know it is such a rich, in-depth approach and I don't want him to miss out. I want him to have the strong math foundation that I didn't have! So, does anyone have experience with an Aspie and which math program really worked well? I am wondering about MUS as a substitute for Singapore? Any other suggestions?

Another thing I should probably mention is the fact that teaching math pretty much terrifies me, because I was a remedial math student....I had and have a real mental block about math. So, I need a program that is user -friendly for a mom who has a big weakness in this area. At this point, it is not really a problem, but not too many years hence, it will be, and I would like to lock into a curriculum that I can use (maybe one with DVD instruction) when I am over my head :) .

I would welcome any suggestions any of you might have. Thank you in advance!

We used way more manipulatives with Singapore than with MUS. I use the Standards edition with the HIGs and always introduce lessons with the activity.

We borrowed from friends or used online samples. I know we went through Math

Mammoth, MEP, Miquon, and Singapore. I think there were a couple others, but those were the top contenders.

I can't say that there is ONE math program that works best for children on the spectrum.  I mean, there are so many variables when it comes to personality or quirks that it is hard to say, "Use this program for children with asp.."  You know? 

My son is somewhere on the spectrum, and he does great with Singapore.  He also has done very, very well with right start.  We have also supplemented a bit with Math Mammoth and he liked that too.  On the other hand, I have a friend who has a child on the spectrum, and Singapore was not a great fit for her son.  (He found the books visually distracting and like the 'plainer' Saxon books instead.)   

BTW--What grade are you looking at? 

If you are not working with an older child, you are going to have to start at the beginning (or near the beginning) in math.  Right?

SO--My suggestion is to NOT allow your own fear of math to be passed down to your children.  Take this as an opportunity to learn together with him.  Don't be afraid to teach math.  Many people have received a poor math education in the US (through no fault of their own) and have grown up labeling themselves as 'bad in math'.  And they grow almost fearful of the subject.  In reality, they might just have a week foundation.  If they had only been taught in a different way or had a stronger understanding in a few basic concepts they might be GREAT in math.   Let go of any self-perceived shackles and approach this subject with confidence!  Let you son know that we can learn almost anything at any point in our lives if we put our mind to it. 

SO--if you decide to do Singapore, my advice is to look at this as an opportunity to learn together with your children.  Do this subject together and each him that we don't have to be intimidated to learn something new.   Teach him how to look for answers when the two of you get stumped on your understanding of something.  (Perhaps you could ask questions here if you need to.)  Singapore and RightStart teach math very differently than they do in the US.  You might find that this method explains things to you in a way that makes more sense.  I hear of many homeschool mamas who have a sort of "Aha!" moment when they teach math.  They say things like, "OH!  So that is why we carry numbers when we add." or "If only I had been taught math this way.  This makes so much more sense."  things like that. 

To answer your question....

I personally don't like MUS.  (Some people do.  I'm not one of them.)  But, I know a lot of parents use it because they are fearful of teaching math and think the video based program will take the pressure off of them.  HOWEVER, the thing about using a video based program is that if your child suddenly doesn't understand something or needs help, they are going to look to you for help.  If you haven't been 'learning along with them'--that might pose a problem.  You know?  That is why I suggest jumping in with both feet when it comes to teaching math.  Whatever program you use, do it with them.  Make sure you aren't just outsourcing it because that may cause you problems later down the line. 

My son has done well with Saxon.  He complains sometimes now that he is older and the lessons are long, but the predictability and orderliness of the program, as well as the clear step by step examples and lessons.  Whenever we desire to know the "why" behind the math we just look for vidoes on the internet to explain things more visually.  I highly recommend Saxon.

I can't say that there is ONE math program that works best for children on the spectrum. I mean, there are so many variables when it comes to personality or quirks that it is hard to say, "Use this program for children with asp.." You know?

My son is somewhere on the spectrum, and he does great with Singapore. He also has done very, very well with right start. We have also supplemented a bit with Math Mammoth and he liked that too. On the other hand, I have a friend who has a child on the spectrum, and Singapore was not a great fit for her son. (He found the books visually distracting and like the 'plainer' Saxon books instead.)

If you are not working with an older child, you are going to have to start at the beginning (or near the beginning) in math. Right?

SO--My suggestion is to NOT allow your own fear of math to be passed down to your children. Take this as an opportunity to learn together with him. Don't be afraid to teach math. Many people have received a poor math education in the US (through no fault of their own) and have grown up labeling themselves as 'bad in math'. And they grow almost fearful of the subject. In reality, they might just have a week foundation. If they had only been taught in a different way or had a stronger understanding in a few basic concepts they might be GREAT in math. Let go of any self-perceived shackles and approach this subject with confidence! Let you son know that we can learn almost anything at any point in our lives if we put our mind to it.

SO--if you decide to do Singapore, my advice is to look at this as an opportunity to learn together with your children. Do this subject together and each him that we don't have to be intimidated to learn something new. Teach him how to look for answers when the two of you get stumped on your understanding of something. (Perhaps you could ask questions here if you need to.) Singapore and RightStart teach math very differently than they do in the US. You might find that this method explains things to you in a way that makes more sense. I hear of many homeschool mamas who have a sort of "Aha!" moment when they teach math. They say things like, "OH! So that is why we carry numbers when we add." or "If only I had been taught math this way. This makes so much more sense." things like that.

I personally don't like MUS. (Some people do. I'm not one of them.) But, I know a lot of parents use it because they are fearful of teaching math and think the video based program will take the pressure off of them. HOWEVER, the thing about using a video based program is that if your child suddenly doesn't understand something or needs help, they are going to look to you for help. If you haven't been 'learning along with them'--that might pose a problem. You know? That is why I suggest jumping in with both feet when it comes to teaching math. Whatever program you use, do it with them. Make sure you aren't just outsourcing it because that may cause you problems later down the line.

Thank you for your encouragement. It challenges me.....in a good way. I hadn't thought about out-sourcing in that light. I am pretty sure I will need to out-source from algebra on, but at least for now, I can work with him, and learn with him. Thanks again!

Kids on the spectrum come in so many shapes and sizes. There is little than we can say about them all in a lump. Many, though, are not independent learners, and are going to need us to be RIGHT there, for a long time to come.

I learned that I needed to pick a curriculum that matched MY learning style and to use it straight through. Saxon worked for ME, so therefore it was the easiest to spoon feed my son after I learned it myself.

My son was gifted as well as on the spectrum. People put a LOT of pressure on me to teach out of my comfort zone. Every time I tried to do that my son learned less, not more.

I have zero experience with Primary Saxon, limited experience with the middle grades, but a lot of experience with the high school books. I will never again try and teach high school math with anything but Saxon, unless it is a VERY rudimentary INTRODUCTION only to algebra, to a student that will be taking no more upper level maths.

Choosing Saxon for high school motivates me to try and start Saxon earlier than that, but I don't know if that is the best thing to do. Right now I'm redoing the high school books myself for the review. I'm trying out using some of the middle grades with tutoring students. And I'm evaluating Blumenfeld's How to Tutor, to see if the mostly copywork approach leads to a good prep for Saxon 54. I've been using HTT for a couple years along with some other things, with good success, but I'm not sure yet how much HTT can stand alone for 54 prep.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Tutor-Samuel-L-Blumenfeld/dp/0941995011

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/419815-samuel-blumenfelds-how-to-tutor-new-math-has-smothered-arithmetic/

For primary, I also like Professor B

http://www.profb.com/productslist.aspx?Subject=Arithmetic&CategoryID=14&cat=Books

and SCM's Mathematics: An Instrument for Living Teaching

http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/mathematics-an-instrument-for-living-teaching/

and Grube's method

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/409801-grubes-method-of-teaching-arithmetic-why-havent-i-heard-of-this/?p=4130611

I want to streamline as much as possible, though, so even though I own and am familiar with the above resources, I'm hoping to mostly go from HTT to Saxon 54, I think. All I know for sure, if that I've dug my heels in deep about high-school Saxon.

I can't say that there is ONE math program that works best for children on the spectrum.  I mean, there are so many variables when it comes to personality or quirks that it is hard to say, "Use this program for children with asp.."  You know? 

My son is somewhere on the spectrum, and he does great with Singapore.  He also has done very, very well with right start.  We have also supplemented a bit with Math Mammoth and he liked that too.  On the other hand, I have a friend who has a child on the spectrum, and Singapore was not a great fit for her son.  (He found the books visually distracting and like the 'plainer' Saxon books instead.)   

If you are not working with an older child, you are going to have to start at the beginning (or near the beginning) in math.  Right?

SO--My suggestion is to NOT allow your own fear of math to be passed down to your children.  Take this as an opportunity to learn together with him.  Don't be afraid to teach math.  Many people have received a poor math education in the US (through no fault of their own) and have grown up labeling themselves as 'bad in math'.  And they grow almost fearful of the subject.  In reality, they might just have a week foundation.  If they had only been taught in a different way or had a stronger understanding in a few basic concepts they might be GREAT in math.   Let go of any self-perceived shackles and approach this subject with confidence!  Let you son know that we can learn almost anything at any point in our lives if we put our mind to it. 

SO--if you decide to do Singapore, my advice is to look at this as an opportunity to learn together with your children.  Do this subject together and each him that we don't have to be intimidated to learn something new.   Teach him how to look for answers when the two of you get stumped on your understanding of something.  (Perhaps you could ask questions here if you need to.)  Singapore and RightStart teach math very differently than they do in the US.  You might find that this method explains things to you in a way that makes more sense.  I hear of many homeschool mamas who have a sort of "Aha!" moment when they teach math.  They say things like, "OH!  So that is why we carry numbers when we add." or "If only I had been taught math this way.  This makes so much more sense."  things like that. 

I personally don't like MUS.  (Some people do.  I'm not one of them.)  But, I know a lot of parents use it because they are fearful of teaching math and think the video based program will take the pressure off of them.  HOWEVER, the thing about using a video based program is that if your child suddenly doesn't understand something or needs help, they are going to look to you for help.  If you haven't been 'learning along with them'--that might pose a problem.  You know?  That is why I suggest jumping in with both feet when it comes to teaching math.  Whatever program you use, do it with them.  Make sure you aren't just outsourcing it because that may cause you problems later down the line. 

Agree with this poster, though I have nothing against MUS. We used Primer and loved it with my non-Aspie. We use Singapore and love it with my Aspie. My younger one uses Miquon (after Primer) and will go into Singapore at some point. I am not sure I would characterize Singapore as showing lots of different ways to do stuff, but I haven't used it earlier than level 3. If anything, I would say that SM applies a certain way of doing things to things I ordinarily would have separate strategies for. For instance, when they teach kids to add and subtract mixed units (like meters and centimeters), I think that method feeds right into a great understanding for mixed numbers, comes from an understanding of carrying and borrowing etc., whereas, I was taught to convert all the units to the smaller one and then convert back to mixed units. I would characterize SM as showing the same thing from many angles and as applying to many situations, and maybe that would potentially be confusing to your child.

For your own math education, there are books that can help (there are threads about this too). I think the free videos on the Education Unboxed site are also helpful.

I know some people like the scripted nature of RightStart because they have less confidence teaching math--the script was the main thing I didn't like about it when I looked at it. I have moments of RS envy, but I just can't do very much at all with scripted curriculum (it's me, not the curriculum). I also had concerns about fine motor skills with all their drawing work (someone more familiar with the program could give you better information on this). I do have a friend that uses RS with her kids, some of whom have special needs, and she LOVES it. I think it's definitely worth consideration if you are worried about your own skills.

We used MUS with my aspie dd from 2nd thru 5th grade and then transitioned to TT for 6th.  MUS worked well for my dd mostly because of the mastery approach that it takes.  It focuses on one skill at a time before you move on to a different skill.  We transitioned to TT and it was very successful.  My dd needs to have visual explanations to master the concepts.  I would recommend you figure out what way your aspie learns best and try to pick a curriculum that teaches to that learning style.  Another little thing we tried was to turn lined paper sideways to use with math problems that need to be lined up.  We often would do problems on the white board and it was easier.  I also found that it was helpful to write down step by step instructions for some of the multi-step problems as a reference, and try to find "trigger" words in word problems that give clues as to what function needs to be performed.  Don't be afraid to jump ship until you find the program that best suits your needs.