Menu

When to use CAP W&R?

blondeviolin

Next year I'm thinking of taking a pause from WWE to let my oldest build up her dictation skills. She can do the narration from the beginning of WWE 3 no problem, but the longer selections of dictation are causing her anxiety. Would W&R 1 be a good bridge for the first semester before moving into WWE 3?

I'll most likely be going against the grain with what others have to say, but I'd recommend staying the course with WWE a bit longer. Perhaps you could break the dictation into smaller chunks or rotate doing part dictation and part copywork. 

Hold on—just noticed the age of your dc. Would a 7 year old doing WWE 3? That would explain a lot and in your case I'd even suggest taking a break from WWE. The dictation passages in W&R are far easier in comparison to WWE, almost to a fault really.

I'll most likely be going against the grain with what others have to say, but I'd recommend staying the course with WWE a bit longer. Perhaps you could break the dictation into smaller chunks or rotate doing part dictation and part copywork.

Hold on—just noticed the age of your dc. Would a 7/8 year old doing WWE 3? That would explain a lot and in your case I'd even suggest taking a break from WWE. The dictation passages in W&R are far easier in comparison to WWE, almost to a fault really.

She turns 8 at the end of next month and solidly in third grade. She did fine with the dictation selections in WWE 2 until the last three weeks or so. She did the evaluation dictation with ease, but it seemed simpler than others towards the end of the book. Do I keep going with WWE 3?

She turns 8 at the end of next month and solidly in third grade. She did fine with the dictation selections in WWE 2 until the last three weeks or so. She did the evaluation dictation with ease, but it seemed simpler than others towards the end of the book. Do I keep going with WWE 3?

Oh duh, that makes sense. Come to think of it, my little man was an almost 8yo/2nd grader when he began WWE 3—2nd semester of 2nd grade.

I believe there are definite benefits to staying the course through at least Level 3 of WWE, and that's what I'd recommend, even though it may not be a favorite. That being said, and as long as she's writing her narrations independently, give W&R a try.