Menu

Spalding questions - reviewing words?

blondeviolin

I'm entertaining the idea of using Spalding for spelling and phonics next year. For my third grader, I have read a fair amount of schedules. The one I see frequently is:

Day One: dictate 30 words (or so), review first 10

Day Two: Test first 10 with remediation if necessary, review second ten

Day Three: Test first 20 with remediation, review third ten

Day Four: Test all 30 with any necessary remediation

Day Five: Test all 30

So, I'm sure I read this plenty (I have editions 4 and 6), but we enter the words in the notebook the first day with me explicitly telling them which phonograms to use if necessary and helping with splitting with syllables, yes? How does reviewing words happen? Do we just write them again with markings? I'm happy to look the answers up. It seems so simple... What will help my student know when to use certain phonograms at times besides just writing it often? Outside of the markings, what makes Spalding different than memorizing a list of words and taking a test at the end of a week?

I'm entertaining the idea of using Spalding for spelling and phonics next year. For my third grader, I have read a fair amount of schedules. The one I see frequently is:

Day One: dictate 30 words (or so), review first 10

Day Two: Test first 10 with remediation if necessary, review second ten

Day Three: Test first 20 with remediation, review third ten

Day Four: Test all 30 with any necessary remediation

Day Five: Test all 30

So, I'm sure I read this plenty (I have editions 4 and 6), but we enter the words in the notebook the first day with me explicitly telling them which phonograms to use if necessary and helping with splitting with syllables, yes? How does reviewing words happen? Do we just write them again with markings? I'm happy to look the answers up. It seems so simple... What will help my student know when to use certain phonograms at times besides just writing it often? Outside of the markings, what makes Spalding different than memorizing a list of words and taking a test at the end of a week?

You always tell the dc which phonograms to use. You dictate the words in syllables. When you are teaching the words you don't leave anything to their imaginations.

Yes, when you review the words, you dictate them again and analyze them again as necessary, including markings, rules notations, and so on.

It isn't just writing the words often that helps the children remember; it's the analyzing and markings, as well, and the *specific* instructions and whatnot. For example, they will learn to use oy at the end of a word instead of oi because they've learned from the beginning that English words don't end with i.

You always tell the dc which phonograms to use. You dictate the words in syllables. When you are teaching the words you don't leave anything to their imaginations.

Yes, when you review the words, you dictate them again and analyze them again as necessary, including markings, rules notations, and so on.

It isn't just writing the words often that helps the children remember; it's the analyzing and markings, as well, and the *specific* instructions and whatnot. For example, they will learn to use oy at the end of a word instead of oi because they've learned from the beginning that English words don't end with i.

Thanks! So, when reviewing words we write them where? In their books again? On a whiteboard? Separate paper?

My oldest was taught when to use oi/oy and that makes sense for her. But what about the long e sound? There are several ways to spell it. Is that just a memoriz- it thing? Because spelling words like that is what's tripping her up in her writing and dictation. When she asks how to spell cheap, for example, she's typically fine if I tell her which phonogram for the long e sound. But she sometimes struggles to remember on her own.

Thanks! So, when reviewing words we write them where? In their books again? On a whiteboard? Separate paper?

My oldest was taught when to use oi/oy and that makes sense for her. But what about the long e sound? There are several ways to spell it. Is that just a memoriz- it thing? Because spelling words like that is what's tripping her up in her writing and dictation. When she asks how to spell cheap, for example, she's typically fine if I tell her which phonogram for the long e sound. But she sometimes struggles to remember on her own.

On a separate piece of paper.

Spalding doesn't teach "the long e sound." :-) You wouldn't be telling your dd which phonogram says the long e sound. You'd tell her to use the phonogram that says ee/eh/ay (ea), because there is more than one possibility.

The children first learn the single-letter phonogram e and its two sounds. Then they learn the multiple-letter phonograms, which include ee, ea (3 sounds), ie (3 sounds), ei (3 sounds), and ey (3 sounds). When they begin learning the words in the spelling list, they learn that a, e, o, and u usually say their second (long) sounds at the end of a short word or syllable; and that a single vowel-single consonant-final silent e will usually cause the single vowel to say its second sound; and because they are learning the most-often-occurring words in English, they will quickly learn to read and spell words they are already familiar with (the word "cheap," BTW, is in Section N). They will less frequently need to ask for spelling help because of what they are learning.

Some spelling methods teach all the letters/combinations of letters which have the same sound; Spalding doesn't do that.