Menu

Really loving Sonlight P3/4

freeindeed

Awesome! We just ordered p4/5 for the Fall, so I'm jazzed to hear about people liking doing Sonlight. I also ordered a couple of the p3/4books 'cause they look so good (The Bible in that core is the same on we used with Ocean for years - love it!).

Hope you have a great year!

Will do freeindeed!

Honestly I didn't buy it all from Sonlight. As much as I want to support a homeschooling company the $$ just isn't there to pay for it all new.  I bought the IG and a couple books from them, and then got the rest used for 1 cent with 3.99 shipping from sellers on half.com, ebay and amazon. The whole core cost me about $150. More expensive than the library but now we'll have these cool books for life, and assumedly Sunshine will be coming up homeschooling behind his brother one day.

Freeindeed, have you started on the Harper Collins book?  For some reason, DD called that the Mommy book, and the other collection was the "White book".  Our Harper Collins is totally falling apart.  We bought it used in pristine shape, and I have a dim view of anyone that could own that book and read it so little.  

We bought ours used too here and there.  Mostly because a bunch of the books had been in my childhood library that my mother had kept.  

We loved P3/4. We read through it the year we started PK at home, before we started FIAR (which we still use).  We "met" many of our family favorite picture books through that series.  The covers on our "big blue book" and "big white book" are totally falling off.  Now that my kids are reading on their own, they love to take those books to their rooms during rest time and read and read and read those wonderful stories over and over again.  And the teddy bear matching game was a favorite for years.  Truly wonderful books!

Have you read any from the thin fairy tale book with illustrations in the table of contents?

Whoever thought to put the illustrations there was brilliant!

DD loves to ponder the table of contents while she decides which story she wants.

No, not yet, but now I'm going to look at that book. :) You've got me curious.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not religious but got most of the readers from BFIAR and Sonlight P3/4 (some of the books overlap) for my dc and we all LOVE them. I didn't grow up in America so it was the first time for me to read those classic picture books and I truly enjoy the stories. My only complaint about the Sonlight P3/4 readers is that the 20th Century Children's Book Treasury is so crowded with condensed stories and missing or tiny illustrations... my kids didn't like this format at all so we ended up checking out most original books from library. Harper Collins is edited better with fewer books but still too bulky for our bedtime storytelling. Most of the Sonlight classic books are available at any local library or used book stores, which can significantly lower the cost of this program.