Menu

My science in the beginning is coming today!!!!

I am using it with a 4th and 5th grader.  IMO, the science is pretty deep--I have a biology degree (but not a terribly strong background in physics, earth science, etc) and much of it is new to me--  But the lessons could be simplified for a younger child (each lesson has an experiment, usually with enough gee-whiz factor that a K-2nd grader would get something out of it even without reading the whole deep lesson).

We want to use the next book next year, Science in the Ancient World, and, quite honestly, I would LOVE to continue the series throughout middle school and ramp it up with some outside research--

The experiments take us about 10 minutes to set up and do, then about 10 minutes to read the lesson, then 10-15 minutes for them to write the suggested things in their journal.  Not always even that long.  We are trying to do 3 lessons per week, and we just finished the 2nd chapter (there are 6 altogether).

Really liking it!  Apologia Elem was a fail (we did Zoo 1 and Astronomy (most of it)) and SL Science B and My Father's World Adventures science.  This Jay Wile program is the first year that I REALLY feel good about science.  But YMMV, of course!  I do think it is a well-written book, easy to implement, and covers a good variety of topics--

Betsy

What ages are you using this for? How long do expect each lesson to take? From what samples I have seen the lessons look fairly short. Could I use this as a spine and add on living books for my rising 6th grader?

It can be used for up to grade 6. There are questions for older and younger students and yeah you can add in books I am sure if there is something my daughter gets really excited about we will add it. I am planning to take a year for this book and move onto Science in the ancient world after that. We will most likely be doing two a week. She is grade 5 as of next year and will be ten years old. I wanna add some Magic School Bus science kits not because it is needed but because she is already 10 and the last baby for me and I love the magic school bus LOL

I am using it with a 4th and 5th grader.  IMO, the science is pretty deep--I have a biology degree (but not a terribly strong background in physics, earth science, etc) and much of it is new to me--  But the lessons could be simplified for a younger child (each lesson has an experiment, usually with enough gee-whiz factor that a K-2nd grader would get something out of it even without reading the whole deep lesson).

We want to use the next book next year, Science in the Ancient World, and, quite honestly, I would LOVE to continue the series throughout middle school and ramp it up with some outside research--

The experiments take us about 10 minutes to set up and do, then about 10 minutes to read the lesson, then 10-15 minutes for them to write the suggested things in their journal.  Not always even that long.  We are trying to do 3 lessons per week, and we just finished the 2nd chapter (there are 6 altogether).

Really liking it!  Apologia Elem was a fail (we did Zoo 1 and Astronomy (most of it)) and SL Science B and My Father's World Adventures science.  This Jay Wile program is the first year that I REALLY feel good about science.  But YMMV, of course!  I do think it is a well-written book, easy to implement, and covers a good variety of topics--

Betsy

Me too!!! :hurray: