Menu

I need a US history text book for grades 5 & 7

Mommyfaithe

Don't judge me 😉

I want one ( actually one for each grade) that is secular with lots of pictures, maps, section comprehension sections and preferably available cheap from amazon.

Prentice Hall, Houghton Mifflin, Glencoe?? K-12??

Anyone have one that is laid out nicely, pretty to look at and sassy to implement. Any ideas?

I want something I can give them to read and answer in full sentences. I have tons of real books. They are getting lazy. I read, they lay around waiting for something to happen. Learning is NOT happening, bad habits and apathy are happening. This is a little shot in the arse so to speak. I would rather, much rather, much, much, much rather do this as read aloud, narrate, write an essay kind of class, but I need to undo some bad habits formed in the kids... And one of them is to learn what you are learning. Very frustrating!!!

As I said, do t judge me. ðŸ˜

I am looking at the K-12 book for the fall as a spine. I love the idea of doing history the WTM way, but I only get to go to the library every two weeks. (Out of town, two hours away.) 

One thing I am trying to work on with my two is finding ways for them to engage with the material, so I figure I have to engage first. My plan is to pick up the books used, and spend my May-June break reading every night, marking up my text, making notes, and really learning that textbook so that I'm prepared to launch all rockets when it is time for school to start. I should be able to hit the library then a little more prepared than I have been with SOTW.

I'm hoping to pick up my science textbooks used as well, same Idea. Looking at Holt for that.

How about Build Our Nation?  Very inexpensive used.  For grades 5 and up, secular, colorful, with maps, published by Houghton Mifflin.  I think it was/is used by Calvert - I believe that's where I heard about it.  (We use textbooks for history, geography & science too.  :001_smile: )

Or the Concise History of US (this is a link to the first one), based on Hakim's full series but drastically edited (for the better, IMO), published by K12.  Also secular, colorful but not cluttered pages.  There are used hardcopy teacher and student guides if you want, too.  The full set consists of four small-ish books.  K12 uses them for 5th and 6th grades, one book per semester.