Menu

AAS

ammv15

I have 2 dc in 2nd grade and we are using Mcruffy for La which includes spelling.Spelling is taught with the phonics and sight words thrown in here and there.My dc are finally starting to improve in spelling.I was thinking of using AAS a supplement.Any reviews?I want something that teaches the spelling rules that is easy to implement .Can I just purchase AAS te? I have moved in with family and have no space and don't intent to use tiles as I know they will be a big distraction.Also, I am trying to spend less as I am savving up to move soon.Any input would be appreciated.

Here's a review I did awhile back. My oldest is now done with the program and my youngest is in Level 7. It's been a great fit here.

If you want to do it without the tiles, use underlining as you write on paper or a hand-held white board to show when two or more letters are working together as a phonogram.

I found the Student Packets invaluable for tracking what my kids needed to review and for the other supplemental materials, so I recommend getting that, but I know there are people that just use the TM. My kids had lots of spelling struggles and needed the review. Take a look at the online samples and see what you think might work for you. 

I just use the TM. We do lessons and practice words on the white board. I keep a list of "Trouble words" to practice and I typed up a list of the rules by reading through the TM and we review those every Monday. I found all those cards cumbersome. I DO like the cards for AAR, but I've found I don't need them for AAS.

MerryAT Hope what level should we start at? My dc are spelling okay but have only learned a few speliing rules.

2 is the highest you can start and still get all the rules taught in the program. Here's an article about whether to start in 1 or 2.

For older students who need to fill in gaps, you can "fast track" through the early levels--here's an example. HTH!

Merry :-)