Menu

Civil war period books

In2why

I am putting together next years plans for history and this year the Revolutionary War period became a full year, and I expect the Civil war period to be the same.  I made myself crazy pulling everything together myself when I was pleasantly surprised that my son wanted to go deep and wide.  I have purchased the Civil War unit from Homeschool in the Woods, and we live in Virginia so I know we can make this interesting and fun.  Where I am hitting a wall is on books to read aloud and have him read himself.  He is going to be in 5th grade, but he isn't a strong reader.  He enjoys read alouds and can handle the language of classics, but not the physical act of reading too many pages in one sitting.   He LOVED Johnny Tremain. 

So far on my list to hunt down for the Civil War period is "Across Five Aprils".    And that is it.  Any suggestions for reading independently and also aloud is appreciated.  I prefer better books, but Twaddle is fine as long as it is a page turner. 

Thanks

Little Women and The Red Badge of Courage are two that come to mind. Then there are always biographies on the key players. A study on submarines would be cool since this is when they came to be. Also, I'm sure there are plenty of good books on the Underground Railroad.

One my reluctant reader read and enjoyed was Bull Run, by Paul Fleishman (son of Sid Fleishman).  It is a (fictional) story about the battle told from a dozen or so different perspectives.  This was an independent read.

Speaking of Sid Fleishman, not that this is Civil War but if you are studying the CA Gold Rush, we also liked By The Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman.  Again, the same reluctant reader often asked to read "just one more chapter" (not something that happens often).  This was an independent read as well.

My oldest went through a Civil War phase last year. Some of the things we read:

Antietam: Day of Courage and Sacrifice

Brown Paper School USKids History: Book of the American Civil War

The First Book of Civil War Land Battles

Eyewitness Books: Civil War

Death in September: The Antietam Campaign

Lincoln’s Flying Spies: Thaddeus Lowe and the Civil War Balloon Corps

Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn’t Tell You About the Civil War

Fields of Fury: The American Civil War

The Civil War: Strange and Fascinating Facts

Lee and Grant at Appomattox

Robert E. Lee and the Road of Honor

The Monitor and the Merrimac and Other Naval Battles

Stonewall Jackson

Clara Barton: Founder of the American Red Cross

Secrets of a Civil War Submarine: Solving the Mysteries of the H.L. Hunley

A Savage Thunder: Antietam and the Bloody Road to Freedom

Daily Life on a Southern Plantation 1853

And this one for lots of fun projects.

Some movies worth watching (YMMV for sensitivity to violent scenes):

The Civil War: A Film by Ken Burns

Ulysses S. Grant: Warrior (PBS)

Robert E. Lee (PBS)

We live just down the road from Antietam, which helped...

Have fun!