Menu

Writing Strands -- tell me about it

Mom2legomaniacs

What do you like about it? For what ages have you used it? Is it a good program for a more reluctant writer? What are the good and bad things about it?

I am considering this for my 9 yr ds who does not care much for writing. I am not good at doing this on the fly either. I need more guidance and instruction myself. But if it is too intensive for me, I would likely not be good at implementing it (I am thinking of the Drawing with Children that has been sitting on my shelf for a few years).

Thanks!

Well, my 2 reluctant writers (and me) absolutely hated it. It was boring. I did not feel enough direction was given for each assignment. I also felt it jumped in required skills from one assignment to another. We are using Writing Skills by EPS and it is going much better. I know loads of WTM Hive members here use and love Writing Strands. It was a terrible fit for us. I am planning to use SWB's new book with mine as soon as my copy arrives.

I didn't care for it. One of the first assignments for my dd11 in WS 3 or 4 was to take a few short sentences and make it one really l.o.n.g sentence that just sounded horrible! I couldn't believe a writing program was actually using this exercise! It just wasn't my style or writing nor did I want my dd learning how to make such an atrocious sentences for the simple fact that she could! We are using IEW's Anc. History Based Writing Lessons for dd11 and am starting Wordsmith Apprentice for ds9. It just looks "fun". I also plan to get SWB's new writing program for my younger ds's for next year. I'm contemplating using Jump In for dd11 next year as well. Not sure about that, though!

Hi Melissa!

I'm not doing good w/ the on-the-fly writing either. In fact, since we "got back to school" in January, one writing assignment has been done. ONE.

For your ds, what about Writing Tales 1 or 2...since he seemed to like the fable retellings. I don't know what to do about writing either...but I didn't like the look of Writing Strands.

but I liked what I did use.

What do you like about it? For what ages have you used it? Is it a good program for a more reluctant writer? What are the good and bad things about it?

I love the way it teaches writing--no formulas (e.g., each paragraph must have at least 4 sentences, with an opening sentence, two supporting sentences, and a closing sentence). It teaches in increments, yet without becoming preachy or repetitive. The assignments are broken down by days ("It will take you 4 days to learn how to...." "Day 1:...") It doesn't use clever terms to describe things like dependent clauses (I don't think it uses "dependent clauses," either, lol).

At the end of each assignment is an evaluation form. You photocopy the form, then staple the completed evaluation to all the written work for each lesson, so you can go through a year's worth of writing and (one hopes) see the improvements made during the year.

We didn't use it for long. I found it difficult to teach but I did not have the teacher's guide (I was told it wasn't really necessary). I thought the instructions lacked clarity. I'm not discounting the very real possibility that my wee brain is the real problem here but we're actually finding CW to be a better fit and that wasn't exactly easy to figure out either.

It might be a good fit for you but I'd urge you to get your hands on a copy first, if at all possible, to peruse before you buy.

It was not a good match for my reluctant writer (now 10). Actually, my reluctant and not-very-creative writer, lol. For example, the first lesson asked the student to list words describing a pencil, and my ds collapsed into tears because he couldn't think of what to say.

We switched to the polar opposite Classical Writing, lol. He is still not a huge fan of writing, but he is doing a lot better and without the meltdowns.

My second ds (6) is very creative, and I actually think he might do very well with Writing Strands, I'm considering trying it out with him.

Kate