Menu

CLE 700 or Saxon 8/7

We have been successfully using CLE for math for a few years now. My boys are doing well with it but my plan is to switch them to Saxon by Algebra I at the latest. We really like the write-in workbooks for CLE and the simple explanations. But I like that Saxon has more instructional options especially in the middle to high school grades. I am planning on using the Art Reed DVDs with Saxon when we begin. I am very familiar with Saxon aince my older two used it as well for middle/high school.

Any advice on when to switch to Saxon?

TIA,

Elise in NC

This may sound funny coming from someone who has used neither, but have they taken the Saxon placement test, i.e., would they be ready for 8/7?  Also, 8/7 is basically prealgebra level whereas they would need both CLE 7 and 8 before algebra (correct?) so that there may also be a difference of pace to consider?

I haven't had them take the placement test yet but 8/7 is considered 7th grade, correct? I will definitely have them take it but after looking at the test I am fairly confidant they will place in 8/7. Doesn't Saxon have a pre-Algebra, Algebra 1/2? The boys could do 8/7 (7th grade), Algebra 1/2 (8th grade), Algebra I (9th grade), Algebra 2 (10th grade). My younger son is definitely a little advanced in math and might go into something math related for college so I don't want to hold him back.

Thanks!

Elise in NC

Hopefully the Saxon users will pipe in to confirm, but my understanding from reading the boards is that a student need only do 8/7 or alg 1/2, but not both (unless they are strugglers).  As far as I have read, most students go directly from 8/7 to alg 1.

If you are looking for more extensive development of mathematical talent, you might also consider supplementing with some problem solving (pdf) from AoPS at some point in time - there are a number of options.

Hopefully the Saxon users will pipe in to confirm, but my understanding from reading the boards is that a student need only do 8/7 or alg 1/2, but not both (unless they are strugglers). As far as I have read, most students go directly from 8/7 to alg 1.

If you are looking for more extensive development of mathematical talent, you might also consider supplementing with some problem solving (pdf) from AoPS at some point in time - there are a number of options.

Thank you! I will definitely look into those resources. I hve never had a "math" kid. With my other children we were just trying to give them a good foundation. Now with my youngest I am realizing he does well with foundational teaching but would love challenging and interesting topics. I am not confidant in my own ability to teach beyond Algebra I so I will need to find other resources to help.

Thanks!

Elise in NC

Thank you! I will definitely look into those resources. I hve never had a "math" kid. With my other children we were just trying to give them a good foundation. Now with my youngest I am realizing he does well with foundational teaching but would love challenging and interesting topics. I am not confidant in my own ability to teach beyond Algebra I so I will need to find other resources to help.

FWIW, a few random resource notes:  supplementally-speaking, AoPS has books on topics outside the standard sequence, Intro to Number Theory and Intro to Counting and Probability, that might be best after (or part-way through?) alg 1.  There are also supplemental problem solving books, Art of Problem Solving Vol. 1 and 2, though I'm not sure what the best time to try those might be, maybe after or during alg 1.  The books are designed to be self-teaching.  There's also a mathcounts/amc 8 on-line class that would be all about problem solving at about a prealgebra/early alg level, I think.  

In addition to those supplemental possibilities, AoPS also has its own standard sequence of texts.  There are free on-line videos that correspond to some of the texts.  We typically use the texts without the on-line live classes, though the one class my dd took she enjoyed.  I especially love the prealgebra text, as it opened up a world that I didn't know existed.  

The website also has a free on-line problem-solving practice program called Alcumus that is aligned to the standard sequence - anyone can sign up to use that.

FWIW, a few random resource notes: supplementally-speaking, AoPS has books on topics outside the standard sequence, Intro to Number Theory and Intro to Counting and Probability, that might be best after (or part-way through?) alg 1. There are also supplemental problem solving books, Art of Problem Solving Vol. 1 and 2, though I'm not sure what the best time to try those might be, maybe after or during alg 1. The books are designed to be self-teaching. There's also a mathcounts/amc 8 on-line class that would be all about problem solving at about a prealgebra/early alg level, I think.

In addition to those supplemental possibilities, AoPS also has its own standard sequence of texts. There are free on-line videos that correspond to some of the texts. We typically use the texts without the on-line live classes, though the one class my dd took she enjoyed. I especially love the prealgebra text, as it opened up a world that I didn't know existed.

The website also has a free on-line problem-solving practice program called Alcumus that is aligned to the standard sequence - anyone can sign up to use that.

Thank you! I'm going to print this out and look into all these resources!!

Elise in NC

I haven't had them take the placement test yet but 8/7 is considered 7th grade, correct? I will definitely have them take it but after looking at the test I am fairly confidant they will place in 8/7. Doesn't Saxon have a pre-Algebra, Algebra 1/2? The boys could do 8/7 (7th grade), Algebra 1/2 (8th grade), Algebra I (9th grade), Algebra 2 (10th grade). My younger son is definitely a little advanced in math and might go into something math related for college so I don't want to hold him back.

Thanks!

Elise in NC

Math 87 can be either 7th or 8th, the same way that 54 could be 4th or 5th, 65 could be 5th or 6th, and 76 could be 6th or 7th. :-)

It is not necessary to do both Math 87 and Alg. 1/2. Students who complete Math 76 with an 80% average go on to Math 87, then Alg. 1. Students who struggle through Math 76 do Alg. 1/2, then Algebra 1.